briand

Well Known Member
Can someone please clue me in to what brand/set-up screwdriver to use that will hold deburring bits? Every cordless screwdriver I can find just has the hex bit chuck

Last edited:
You have to order an adapter from Avery or Cleaveland (maybe you can get one locally, but I haven't found one). Bit screws into the front...the back end is hex.

Cleaveland DB 04, one hole de-burring bit.

I am very happy with this, running it in a "El Cheapo" cordless screwdriver---------WAY better that the six flute/wobble handle I started with.

Mike

deburring

Mike S said:
Cleaveland DB 04, one hole de-burring bit.

I am very happy with this, running it in a "El Cheapo" cordless screwdriver---------WAY better that the six flute/wobble handle I started with.

Mike
I am glad to see this post. I am deburring by hand using an oversized drill bit and spinning it in my hands. I am sure I don't have to tell you that is getting old. Can someone give me some specific information on what tools are the best to get for deburring? I have a deburring tool that has a bent bit that you insert in the hole and spin around (I cannot remember the name of this tool) but I don't find this tool very handy. I have a very difficult time using it in 3/32 holes so that has led me to spinning the drill bit by hand to deburr holes. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RVBYSDI
Steve

You can get deburring bits from Avery and Cleaveland (and others). It's essentially a countersink bit but it comes to a sharp point instead of a pilot. Avery has a deburring kit, I think, that has a couple of bits, a handle, an extension and the cordless drill attachment....maybe I'm wrong about the kit, but they certainly have all of the pieces.

That bent thingy you have doesn't work very well for drilled holes...it's better on lightening holes, edge of sheets, etc...

RVbySDI said:
Can someone give me some specific information on what tools are the best to get for deburring?

See Mike S.'s comment about the Cleveland bit above--works fantastic in a cordless screwdriver. After using it you will definitely be wondering why you ever used anything else! Happy deburring.

I use a B&D in-line screw driver with a chuck I bought at Home Depot. I also bought a 100 degree deburring bit because my tool kit came with a more acute bit.

After setting this all up I discovered that I do more deburring by slipping the chuck off the driver and spinning it with my fingers as one would start a toy top. It is easy to align, has a good weight and holds its momemtum. I like the standard swivel handle deburring tool if I have both hands available but, it can be tricky to align sometimes with 1 hand.

It hasn't been said as yet in this thread but, you must use a deft, light touch when deburring with a power tool as it can cut quickly. Watch out on the .020.

Jekyll

Last edited:
If you're impatient like me and also have (or have access to) a 1/4"-28 tap/drill set, you can make a nice deburring bit adapater by tapping a 5mm 1/4" drive socket. Just add a 1/4" drive adapter for your cordless screwdriver and you're all set.

Dave