rvtach

Well Known Member
COPPERSTATE Regional EAA Fly-In will be held October 25-28 at the Casa Grande, Arizona Municipal Airport (CGZ). See www.copperstate.org for details.

My name is Jim McChesney and I am the director of Aircraft Parking for the COPPERSTATE Fly-In. Every fly-in that happens, anywhere, is dependent on volunteers. It is a fact that fly-in's simply would not exist if people didn't give away their time to make it happen. COPPERSTATE is obviously no different and we truly appreciate all the volunteers out there!

I perpetually have 2 specific volunteer opportunities in the aircraft parking area that I am asking for help with.

#1- As aircraft exit the runway they are directed to ShowPlane Parking (Experimental, Warbirds, Antiques, etc), Aircraft Camping and General Aircraft Parking (most Cessnas, Pipers etc).

We need some folks who can ID aircraft well enough to tell Showplanes from general transient aircraft and then direct the pilots, via radio (a simple "turn left (or right) at the taxiway") to the general area of the ramp where they are met by parking marshals and shown to their tie down spot. Most people seem to shy away from this job but it's really not hard. You don't have to know every airplane that taxis past and nobody's feelings get hurt if a Cessna ends up with the homebuilts. So, if this interests you at all please let me know either here or at [email protected]. We really need some help on this one.

#2- The most common request I hear from pilots exiting the runway at our event is "I'd like to park in the (insert aircraft type here. RV, Luscombe, warbird, antique) area." Unfortunately we have to tell them that we don't have any type areas because we don't have the manpower to staff them.

So, if you have an interest in a specific aircraft (like, I don't know, maybe RVs...) and would like to host an area to showcase your favorite aircraft please let me know either here or at [email protected]. This year I have a group of CAP Cadets who are available to help out in these areas if you need some extra hands. You take charge of the area and I'll send you airplanes to park.

There are some benefits to volunteering like this and the details can be found at www.copperstate.org . Basically you get free admission to the fly in, free meals (3/day), free camping (if you're so inclined). Besides all that you get to be a part of something that's really a lot of fun!

Hope to see you at COPPERSTATE!

Jim McChesney
RV-7
Gluing plexi to slider next week (I hope)

Jim,

I've been trying to get some info about camping at Copperstate but haven't heard back from the organizers (email) yet.

I haven't been to Copperstate at CGZ yet (been a few years!), and I was wondering where the camping area is. Can you camp next to your airplane? What do I need to do in order to help marshalls (or whoever) direct me to the camping/parking area?

It's easy...

There are 2 options for camping with your plane. One is to camp in the Aircraft Camping Area. To see the actual location, look here http://www.copperstate.org/Images/Full.pdf and find the "20" which is the showers for the camping area (including A/C Camping). The a/c shown parked along the diagonal taxiway, right there, are in a/c camping. (Hope that is clear...) At any rate A/C camping is less than 5 minute walk from the main display area.

Option #2 is to get parked on the main show plane ramp and camp by your plane. This is ok for a freestanding tent but hard to drive tent stakes into the asphalt.

For option #1 make a big (8.5 x11) sign that says "AC" and show it to the marshalls and tell the radio parking controllers that you want to be in A/C camping.

For #2 make a sign that says "SP" and tell the controllers that you want to park in show plane parking.

This is summarized here http://www.copperstate.org/Visitor_Center/AC-Parking.html

All of the info you need about COPPERSTATE is at http://www.copperstate.org/index.html but it can be a little hard to find just what you need in some cases.

The ramp has been expanded by an additional 400x750' so should have plenty of paved show plane parking.

See ya there,

Jim McChesney
Aircraft Parking Chairman COPPERSTATE
-7A Finishing Kit