bobnoffs

Well Known Member
hi all,
i want to use a piece of copper tubing with a AN 816 fitting. alum. 3/8'' tubing has a wall of .035'' and copper tubing wall is .032. can i flare the copper tube and use it with the 816 fitting?
this is only for diverting the flow of a return line inside a fuel tank. is there another fitting i should use?
and i am only looking at copper because i want to solder a finger screen to the end of the tube.
thanks for any input.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it, if I needed to use copper. I've even done it to copper tubing when I was prototyping a line from cockpit to wing, though I never tried to run fuel through it. On the other hand, have you thought of just using safety wire & tank sealant to attach your screen? Take a look at the fuel pickup tubes Van supplies for the older 2 seat kits.

On another note, do you really want to further aerate the fuel returning to the tank?

Last edited:
....have you thought of just using safety wire & tank sealant to attach your screen? Take a look at the fuel pickup tubes Van supplies for the older 2 seat kits....

That's exactly the way Van's did mine when I bought them for my RV-3B project: safety-wired and tank sealant.

Dave

ok,
i assume for the alum. tube it is as basic as beading the end of the tube, slipping a finger screen over and safety wiring and sealing?