DHeal

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone out there in RV-12-land know why Van's specifies a "copper-free" anti-seize paste for use on the RV-12 exhaust system connections? Is there some inherent metalugical or wear issue between copper and the exhaust components?

I already have some Loctite "Copper-Free" Heavy-Duty Anti-Seize on order, but was curious as to why something like Loctite C5-A "Copper-Based" Anti-seize is not acceptable?

I dont know what metal the exhaust is made from but my guess is Galvanic corrosion. The copper will cause the aluminium to corrode.

Last edited:
I'm not a metallurgist, but I know stainless is susceptible to corrosion and cracking when contaminated by some metals. That's why welders never use carbon steel wire brushes on stainless.

Stainless steel has some great properties, as well as some not so great ones. It's subject to crevice (pit) corrosion, has poor machinability due to a tendency to gall, and is not as strong as plain steel.
It does have corrosion resistance at elevated temp as compared to plain steel, so won't rust out like a plain steel exhaust.