Paris12Man

Well Known Member
I'm at the point of Engine install where the directions want you to cut the cooling shroud. I've included a couple of pictures of the left and right sides for viewing. Those of you who have cut this piece, do my marked out lines look about right?, did you have to remove that much material? I would rather ask a silly question, in stead of making a mistake. Thanks for you feedback.
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa425/scgarrett3037/RV12 Project/Jan30-11006.jpg
http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa425/scgarrett3037/RV12 Project/Jan30-11007.jpg

Looks like too much...

I don't remember what mine looked like exactly either, but your lines look like way too much to cut off. And the trimming should be contoured to fit around the cylinders as Joe says.

Tony

Take a look at pg56-05 fig 3 to see how the shroud follows the cylinders.

I found doing the cutting in several steps, working to the final fitting worked fairly well.

After you get done fitting the cooling shroud paint it high engine temp flat black. It will look a lot better painted than raw fiberglass and it will cover up the edges that turn brown after a couple hundred hours.

I think Tony has a few pics of his engine with a painted shroud, take a look.

Last edited:
Steve

Steve,

You may also want to look at the Rotax Illustrated Parts Manual to see what Rotax sells as a cooling shroud. Van's elected not to use it because they designed their own cowling which influences the cool air entrance. That said, the shroud itself should cover the cylinders the same way. Sell that Cessna, it will force you to work faster on your 12!

Pete

Pg 56?

Take a look at pg56-05 fig 3 to see how the shroud follows the cylinders.

I found doing the cutting in several steps, working to the final fitting worked fairly well.

Now you have me worried....I don't have a section 56. My book stops at 50:). The only picture I have is on 46-05 (I assume this is what you meant) and figure 8 on pg 46-04. One shows a flat bottom and the other shows a contoured bottom. I guess the contoured bottome is what I'm shooting for. Thanks

Sell the Cessna

Steve,

......... Sell that Cessna, it will force you to work faster on your 12!

Pete

Hey Pete, Boy I wish I could. Had a good time at Lancaster. Looking forward to being the 3rd plane in the formation! Steve