Michael Henning

Well Known Member
I just did this tonight. I used some 3" dia. x .035 thick tubing and secured it to the engine mount in 3 spots using WDG clamps. The tubing surrounds the Andair Gascolator. I am using the corrugated blast tubing that Vans sells, molded into a custom made fiberglass top for the tubing.
Comments are welcome, as I am looking for opinions on this. Pics are forthcoming.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mike,
I would be very intersted to see pictures. It's always alot easier to imagine...
I have the Andair gascolators in the wing root (one each side). But I would be very interested in your solution because I'm looking for something similar for the fuel flow sender on the firewall.

No need

I had visions of doing similar on my -4, but there is no need...just adds more exit drag, and cooling tubes. I have Vetterman 4 pipe system, and fly in the hot south. You can shutdown after flying on a 90 degree day and grab the gascolator immediately...no heat there.

It's good to hear that there is no need for such a shroud. If it can be kept simple, it's even better. Those which reported no problems, are you flying AVGAS or MOGAS? It might make a difference...

A radiant heat shield often has merit, depending on gascolator proximity to an exhaust pipe. The shield is usually mounted to the pipe. They're easy to make in any length you desire.

Actively cooling a gascolator is inefficient because of the low temperature delta. The air coming down a blast tube will be 100F+ on a warm day. It might even be warmer than the incoming fuel temperature. In reality you're not cooling it, but rather protecting it from lower plenum heat sources...air and radiant. You should be able to do as well with an insulation sleeve and/or a radiant shield

Last edited:
Dan,
Thank you for the input. Radiant heat shielding this surely effective and rather simple to achieve (and won't add cooling drag). I have seen that you have done several temperature measurements in the past. Have you done measurements near that location (between the exhausts and close to the firewall) and what were they reading?