Craig

Well Known Member
I have a quickbuild RV-8 fuselage. It has a hinge pin protruding from the starboard side of the fuselage. It is bent at a 90 degree angle, and about three inches long. It is the pin that secures the aft end of the cooling ramp.

How have other people secured it? The manual and drawings don't address this, and I couldn't find any websites or archives dealing with it.

Van's couldn't answer, or didn't understand my question.

Craig

Cooling ramp hinge

Craig said:
I have a quickbuild RV-8 fuselage. It has a hinge pin protruding from the starboard side of the fuselage. It is bent at a 90 degree angle, and about three inches long. It is the pin that secures the aft end of the cooling ramp.

How have other people secured it? ...
I got someone to answer this question, and I believe it was Van's, and they said just cover the pin with the gear leg fairing, and it will keep the pin from coming out. Of course, you could also use a bit of safety wire on the pin, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Could anyone please educate us as to what the purpose of the hinge / skin section is :confused:

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 QB

Originally, the cooling ramp was planned to be variable. There would have been some sort of cable that raised and lowered the front edge, thus needing a hinge at the rear. Van's never did this, but for some silly reason, the hinge is still there. FWIW, on my first RV-8, I riveted the rear of the cooling ramp skin, and didn't have a hinge.

Cheers,
Rusty (9.8 hours)

Installed nutplate

I bent the free end of the hinge pin into a loop, just big enough for a #6 screw. I then installed a nutplate and with a little creative bending, there you have it. The hinge pin lies flat and is secured with the screw.

Of course, I agree the hinge is a waste of time. If I were to do another, I would ge rid of it all together.