skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I've been reading in the archives about the Sam James cooling plenum. I really like the idea of using it, but have never seen one in person and am curious as to how much the plenum interferes with doing simple engine maintenance. If you pop the top cowling off, can you still easily inspect the engine, or do you have to remove the plenum too? I'm leaning towards using this modification, but not at the cost of adding a lot of time to all of my routine maintenance.

About the only things you can't do to an engine with a plenum attached is check the top plugs, and torque the top cylinder bolts. I do both of these at annual, so I only have to take the plenum off once a year, in theory. In practice I do it several times a year. It only takes five minutes with a power drill to have the plenum apart (this is my own design, not a SJ. I don't know how difficult they are to get off, but it can't be too bad.)

SJ Plenum

The install is not easy. Major modification is required to insure a good, tight fit. I have one, but will not do it again. Use Vans baffling and put a metal doghouse on it.

Sam James Plenum

I have the Sam James plenum and did not have any trouble installing it. It is relatively easy to take apart with a power screw driver. I would install again.

Yep, no big deal

I agree with Vince, it is no big deal. You imply you want to use the Sam James cowl or do you just want a solid plenum with a stock cowl?

My plane is using a modify stock cowl with aluminum rings and my own plenum, all out of aluminum, except for the transition from the cowl rings to the plenum, which will consist or a short length of flex tube and a fiberglass diffusers adapting the tube to the aluminum "dog house". The fiberglass is just formed over foam plugs. I am designing small access into the top of the pleunum to access the plugs, or just a hand full of screws can remove the whole top. George

Last edited: