Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
I'm interested in seeing what you've done to cool a panel mounted ipad. The mount I have has the hole in the back to attach a hose... Does anyone have pics showing how they brought cool air to the back?

Or, are there ideas out there I'm missing?

Thanks.

X-naut

Although I do not have this myself, I did see it at a show (maybe it was Oshkosh) and thought it was a cool solution. It a bit bulky but I guess it has to be for holding the fans. It's a bit pricey as well but a nice finish. I believe Spruce carries it. https://x-naut.com/

I just ordered a Guardian flush mount for my iPad mini yesterday. It has a molded tube inlet for a cooling tube or fan. To keep things simple, I just bought their 12v fan for an extra $50. I probably could’ve come up with a less expensive fan solution via Amazon, but decided to just go with theirs. The package was right at $200. This is for my Glasair and I’m making the right side of the panel “modular” so I can have it re-cut as the iPads become obsolete.

FWIW, I’ve found that the case can really hamper cooling. I use a heavy duty Otterbox case on my phone in the RV-3 and it routinely overheats while running Foreflight in the summer.

I fly my 9 mostly for cross country flights. The only time I have had my ipad shut down due to heat has been when I’ve left it in the cockpit while we went to lunch or left the airplane for a bit while the plane sits on the ramp in full sun. I learned to cover the ipad with a hand towel when I leave it in the airplane. Problem solved. Have never had it shut down while in flight.

been using the Xnaut, as mentioned by Amir above, for a couple of years now. The iPad mini is well cooled by the Xnaut and held in the right position by a short RAM mount. Having a dual USB outlet close by, one for the iPad, the other for the Xnaut helps. Works perfect for my needs :)

https://x-naut.com/

Here is how I modified my Gizmo to cool the ipad mini.

KXww2-ZCRNXTcAY37RVgORzuTnNNQuwt1lZz6DeWpLs3xyBGAzWMxo_B2tiVA5AiL9-h_vGhaVWp10D6FE-,uO6CnRdEmh6ydhZ3xrMCG1tgsNZPMBx2JGFokfCKeGtPSJyPmqmQ6SScSRvmEolA4B32GTfOQ0_sFsXTUJH_YWMM5sa9-qLN4rsYL1dHS8An-n1CsNmAxHQJFzNud-vvm8H8e4EIJAu9TyUFglTqjkmU-ew3Tb5a033PlP66V7JbsjPSrY6m5VtxZtoy3zOaB0M6fH-7py4NMVqpCRyTqpB9G702baLuEEE9womZquoELfzDcuwb9NLbIaEqKbk7CJMzyBDvYUO_mNxD7i4g0kZsD0pYcpO9euuiusSS7W55oKn424YHlD7QfC8AITsaUoWF___4O5kxf3VgdMprW9d09WpfUEQjkAa5W_DOAxEeWsjol45ijlcFTlg9eXDgNFHvLb3CxJCiTPWWRogkiT5sUkMsU6LIZEroCHndMqYwe4cxvwVPPE_tVCDcotgG7E5ds6oM-sZLTNA3Ck_YyflzetUujc6wTjuQxS90KhpjVL-YshWglQoXxr9jKOW5cjhHGq19VTrmaGtmY7-EQDd_5fxVuqvzry3-BGBPDCvST71UKqGJJCzq5JX4wyDsQmu4v-eXBfyMslye_o1gyzoiRS5HS-9csgypqHvdoyxA=w861-h1148-no

The link didn’t seem to work