jsharkey

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the corrugated nylon Wiring Conduit supplied by Van's is the same as the corrugated nylon Cooling Blast Tube material? The on-line catalogue says the wiring conduit is good for FWF use provided it's kept 4" to 6" away from the exhaust. The blast tube material has no such restriction noted - but it seems prudent to keep it clear of the exhaust.

I seem to have miles of the wiring conduit and may use some to supplement the Cooling Blast Tube material.

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Finishing Up

Jim,

I used the wiring conduit for blast tubes cool my P-mags and to cool the alternator. 150 hours and no problems.

I used them for blast tubes too. They WILL deform if they get too hot. I have one on the alternator and fuel pump that are a little funny looking due to the heat. The ones on the mags are holding up fine. Next time, I'm using "the real stuff" (sceet tube).

My alternator

blast tube looks funny too..then I discovered I had a small exhaust leak right where the tube was..:)

That's a good thing...

blast tube looks funny too..then I discovered I had a small exhaust leak right where the tube was..:)
Had you used something else, you might not have noticed the leak.

Thats a very good point

Good point Mel,
Actually it is a new Vettermen exhaust, the joint is one of the slip joint s that was slightly deformed..I just wrapped the 2" of the joint in exhaust wrap that seems to be holding up well.

Frank

I instrumented my mags and alternator with temp probes during the fly off period. Hot day, max temp for alternator was 120 deg F, mags 115 deg F.

After shutdown, mags and alternator temp incresed to engine core temperature (oil temperature) of approx 180 deg, and then the whole thing cooled off as one big mass.

Max temp for a Bendix mag per a Bendix engineer is 250 deg F.

This is with NO blast tubes intalled. Engine...IO-540 F1 Rocket

Best wishes, Bob