jonweisw

Well Known Member
All-

It's been a while since I posted here, but I continue to lurk regularly.

I have been busy building a Factory 5 Mark IV Roadster, which is a Shelby Cobra replica and a piece of cake to build given my RV experience - one which I would STRONGLY recommend to anybody who has built an RV and who is looking for another project which is not an RV-10.

Anyway, I came across these billeted aluminum clamps for holding metal fluid lines which are REALLY nice. I wish I had known about them back when I was building my -8...The company is called Lodestone Billetworks and is great to deal with, and I thought there might be some interest from the RV group...

BTW - my progress blog on the new project is http://factory5roadster.wordpress.com

Jon Weiswasser
RV-8, N898JW

They look great -- for a car.
But they look heavy, and they don't have rubber. Adels have rubber for several reasons: to "grip" with less pressure that a bare metal to metal grip requires, to distribute said pressure over a deformed or less than perfectly aligned tube more evenly, and to provide insulation from shock. I would be hesitant to use these on my plane.
Mike

The difference in weight compared to an adel is negligible. The poin about vibration and rubber is a fair one - ie, I'm not sure I would use these in an engine compartment. However, they are machined so nicely that there is no wiggle room, so that the tubing becomes absolutely fixed. I could see using this on pitot/static lines, vent lines, and occasional cabin fuel lines.

Cobra

Hey Jon;
I did it the other way around.. first the Cobra, now the RV7a.

The Cobra is great fun, but I am hoping Five Oh does not get as excited when I go fast with the RV. This is a classic Roadster kit (1996) shown with the hard top attached.

BTW, those clamps look nice, they really did some nice work, but I think I would limit them to behind the firewall.

Another RV builder (who built his -7 with me while I was building my -8, and who, oddly enough, was the one who gave me the roadster idea) had the same concern. We flew up to Wareham, MA to visit the factory and he sat in one and just made it in the stock configuration. There are, of course like anything else, ways to seat tall people lower...

Jon