lbgjb

flying rv10 with louvers on sides and oil temps in hot summer are great--even in climbs. However, in cold weather sometimes hard to get above 150 when it's really cold outside. Any good suggestions for partially blocking--tape?? what will withstand engine heat and not melt?? Also have larger oil cooler. thanks. larry & gayle

put a throttle valve in the scat-tube connection to baffles

Hi, theres a nice throttle valve that you put in place of the flanged tube where your scat tube connects to the cooling baffles. Its made for 4" scat.
Its sold by the same guys that make the oil door hidden hinge. They changed their name, I think it is 'Nonstopaviation' now. google it.

I have 3.5" scat tubing to my cooler, so I made my own throttle valve for it.

Hello, Larry. Yes, lots of ways to deal with this. I have used all 3 of these methods with success:
1. put a flipper valve in the 4" scat duct with a cockpit control
2. Put a removable aluminum cover over the inlet to the scat (I attached one with #8 screws and nuts) that covers about 80%-90% of the inlet
3. REmove the scat tube completely and block the inlet with the above-mentioned cover.

Vic

Florida? You think your oil is cold? HA! You have no idea what cold is! ;)

What Vic said, only narrow your choises to #1. In flight adjustable door is the only way to fly.

The problem with tape is that as the warmer weather approaches or your flight takes you into warmer weather you are going to have to land to remove the tape from a hot engine. Ask me how I know this. :rolleyes:

Last winter up here in cold country I took off when the ground temp was 25F. The problem was the air temp at 3,500' was 75F. I didn't make it 60 miles before the oil temp was 240F! :eek:

If you need any help installing the damper I'll do it for free starting January 2nd. It might take me a month to do it, and I will require a place to stay. ;)

Last edited:
just flew in from Ohio--overnight 29--took off and 35 at elevation and slowly increased in temp as we flew south, and so did the oil temp. i'll let you stay in our beach condo for a week for parts and installation!!! larry

Last edited:
Real Cold?

I don't understand the need to cover the oil cooler with mild temperature swings. I fly at 95 degrees at 8000 feet DA and settle at 1900 degrees and fly the same trip at 0 degrees and settle at 180 degrees. Is that not what the vernatherm is supposed to do? Are some planes configured to circulate the oil full time?

I don't understand the need to cover the oil cooler with mild temperature swings. I fly at 95 degrees at 8000 feet DA and settle at 1900 degrees and fly the same trip at 0 degrees and settle at 180 degrees. Is that not what the vernatherm is supposed to do? Are some planes configured to circulate the oil full time?

Wow, 1900 degrees!:D

This topic is fairly well covered in parts of other threads. Oil has two possible places to go - through the oil cooler and bypassing the cooler. When cold, it is supposed to be going through both at some ratio I've never been able to determine. This is to prevent stagnant oil from gelling in the cooler when oat's are cold. However, the amount of oil going through the cooler during cold operations is usually enough to cause cold oil temperatures. As the oil temperature rises, the vernatherm closes the bypass route, sending all the oil to the cooler.

If your setup has oil temperatures at 180F when the oat is 0F, it would seem to be very unusual in some respect.

We Are Working on This

at the present time.
It's a simple cockpit controlled valve made from a few pieces of scrap aluminum and a choke cable.
Will have pictures in a few days
Stay tuned
Jack

I know we all think the vernatherm is supposed to hold it at 180 degrees, but I have never seen it work that way. It really just decides when to send oil to the cooler (if it's above 180 degrees, supposedly). If it doesn't get to that temp, then it doesn't go to the cooler--although some it actually does.
I have mine set up with the cockpit controllable valve. I just made it from a scrap piece of 3" tube and a flipper valve constructed from a 3" circle cut with a fly cutter, and rivet a shaft to it. I live in Altanta, so most of the time in the summer it is wide open, but even in the summer at high altitudes, I do shut it a little to keep the temps 190-200. On my most recent trip to Omaha, in which I am still stuck because Winter decided to come early, the OAT's have been around 25 degrees, and I can only get 177 degrees with the valve completely closed.
This set up has worked satisfactorily on my 6 and 7 with )-360's, and on the 10 with an IO-540.
As Larry pointed out, having one that is adjustable allows for travel between different temps without the need to land.

Vic