flickroll

Well Known Member
I was using my iPad to read the news this evening. I decided to open Foreflight and play around with it. I found that all of my plates, charts, airport info, etc. had updated to the current cycle automatically without any action required by me. Apparently unless you do a hard 'turn off' the device still runs in the background, and if you have an internet connection (thank you Al Gore :)), the update of Foreflight data just happens. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
FlickRoll,

Can you show me how you can get all that equipment in the panel of an RV8?

AFS 4500 EFIS
AFS 3400 EFIS/EM
G430W
G696
G240
SL30

I have a layout with an AFS4500 in the center with a radio stack on the far left and an EFB the on the right.

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
How well do you like your VP/X?

[I[/I]
I was using my iPad to read the news this evening. I decided to open Foreflight and play around with it. I found that all of my plates, charts, airport info, etc. had updated to the current cycle automatically without any action required by me. Apparently unless you do a hard 'turn off' the device still runs in the background, and if you have an internet connection (thank you Al Gore :)), the update of Foreflight data just happens. Pretty cool!

FlickRoll,

Can you show me how you can get all that equipment in the panel of an RV8?

AFS 4500 EFIS
AFS 3400 EFIS/EM
G430W
G696
G240
G327
SL30

I'll post a picture soon, I'm still working on it....... It is a tight fit but it all squeezes in. Essentially the SL30 and 327 mount low and left, the 3400 above them. The G430 center low, and the 4500 above it, and the 240 low right, and the 696 above it. I spent HOURS with paper pieces the size of the equipment, jockeying them around until I got it right.

Last edited:
How well do you like your VP/X?

The panel is wired for the VP-X, I'll receive the box this Friday. I hope to have the panel complete in 2 to 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to VP-X....think I'll really like it.

Last edited:
Nice. Have you got an IO-540 to get it off the ground? :)

Snowflake, why do you think I would need a 540? There will be a modest increase in empty weight of the airplane with the new panel vs the previous panel that had a D-100, D-120, Dynon AP, G327, SL30, G696. The Dynons weighed around 6 pounds together. The AFS stuff weighs close to 10 pounds together, so a 4 pound gain for the EFIS/EMS. The G430 (new in the airplane) weighs 6.6 pounds. The G240 weighs 1.5 pounds, although I am removing a PM 3000 intercom. The net gain of the VP-X over the previous wiring, circuit breakers, etc. is around 3 pounds I guess. The TT AP is a wash compared to the Dynon AP. I'm estimating an additional 5 pounds (probably way overestimated) for new wiring that includes shielded to get rid of RF noise on the LED based strobe/nav lights and for shielded wiring for HID lights because of the same issue. So the total increase is around 20 pounds. The previous empty weight was 1056. You do the math :)

Grove gear, Whirlwind prop, no fancy interior, among other things, to help keep the overall weight down.......

This is a light and FAST -8 :D

Last edited: