svanarts

Well Known Member
Don't know how many use the Aeroplanner.com website for flight planning. I like it even if it is a little slow. One of the cool things it can do now is to export your flight plan to a Google Earth .KML file so you can view your flight in Google Earth before you make the flight.

If you keep a track log with your GPS you can import that into Google Earth and overlay it on your flight plan and see how close you were. Pretty cool.

Im having a hard time determining how laying my flight plan over google earth helps me. Scratching my head.

You guys have too much time on your hands - I fly because I enjoy it, not because I want to analyze it. :rolleyes:

Kahuna said:
Im having a hard time determining how laying my flight plan over google earth helps me. Scratching my head.
Perhaps because it allows you to be just a little more knowledgeable about the terrain over which you will be flying? Is that not a good thing? If more pilots did more "analyzing" before they flew we'd all be better off. Thanks Scott for the idea.

Last edited:
Hear Hear!

I've flown cross country trips on Flight Simulator before doing them in my plane. Has been very helpful. Have flown from Pensacola to NY to California. Funny how things always looked familiar! :cool:
Thanks for the tip.

This sounds cool

How do you export the file? Can it be done from the EAA level or is this a higher level of service from aeroplanner?

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Perhaps because it allows you to be just a little more knowledgeable about the terrain over which you will be flying? Is that not a good thing? If more pilots did more "analyzing" before they flew we'd all be better off. Thanks Scott for the idea.

If a pilot wants knowledge about terrain, would he not use a map that actually shows terrain in some meaningful way? Like a sectional?

Past about 2 seconds of cool factor, I just dont get why a pilot would use this for flight planning.

Last edited:
Kahuna said:
Past about 2 seconds of cool factor, I just dont get why a pilot would use this for flight planning.
For low time pilots the apprehension of a long cross country across unfamiliar terrain is enough to keep em home. As they mature as pilots the need for this google overlay might not be as helpful. I know when I was a fledgling XC pilot I sure would of liked something like this.

Kahuna said:
If a pilot wants knowledge about terrain, would he not use a map that actually shows terrain in some meaningful way? Like a sectional?

So don't use use it.......you don't have to knock someone else for getting a kick out of it. Just do it your own way and leave the poor kid alone :rolleyes:

Google Earth flight plan

I setup a 5hr CC last weekend using google earth along with sectional overlays. The program was a great help when it came to picking a route. The ability to see visuals of the terain sold me on a route based on view.
I also managed to get some good low angle views of the airports where I intended to land. While the 3d was not great it did place bodies of water, etc in the right perspective judging from my arrivals.

I would suggest this program as a first step to anyone planning a 'scenic' flight. For someone just looking to get from point A to point B it is not very useful as the sectionals are way out of date!!

Of course I used current sectionals and wrote a real flight plan before heading out. :rolleyes:

*Anyone got a cheat sheet on importing aeroplanner into Google earth?

Last edited:
jdeas said:
I setup a 5hr CC last weekend using google earth along with sectional overlays. The program was a great help when it came to picking a route. The ability to see visuals of the terain sold me on a route based on view.
I also managed to get some good low angle views of the airports where I intended to land. While the 3d was not great it did place bodies of water, etc in the right perspective judging from my arrivals.

I would suggest this program as a first step to anyone planning a 'scenic' flight. For someone just looking to get from point A to point B it is not very useful as the sectionals are way out of date!!

Of course I used current sectionals and wrote a real flight plan before heading out. :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more with the use of google earth for flight planning or at least getting a view of the airport you will be landing at. I also will use Microsoft FS to land at the airport before I go there. This is something that is helpful just to see what is going on in the area. Google earth shows you buildings, roads, subdivisions, parks and so much more that a sectional does not show you. I use aeroplanner for the route and the other two for checking the route and landing areas. There have been many times that a IFR rated pilot with 1.2 million hours has crashed into terrain. Being familiar with were you are going just adds comfort to the flight and if somebody wants to do it then don't chastise them for it.

jdeas said:

I have a paid Aeroplanner account so bear that in mind if these instructions don't work. They generally save a lot of the bells and whistles for the paid accounts. If someone has an EAA Aeroplanner account they can try this and let the rest of us know if it works.

Basically you just set up your flight plan in Aeroplanner, then at the top of the flight planning page there is a link that says "Export Flight Plan". It's just above the Quick Start field. Once you click on that link you be prompted for file export format. For me it's the following: GPX, Ozi Explorer, MS Flight Sim, FlightBuddy, Control Vision, WX Worx, Google Earth. Once I click on Google Earth it pops up a link where I can download the newly created KML file.

I like it because if I want to fly anywhere else in the USA, I have to cross the Sierra Nevada and usually the Rockies too. I find GE great for getting the lay of the land at unfamiliar airports in the mountain states.

EAA Planner

As expected, not part of the EAA level of service. Import only at this basic level. :eek:
Too bad. I found the PDF TripTick to be more than I wanted in my lap and redundant to my sectional so I will not be upgrading just for the export function.