Dave12

Well Known Member
I am considering a Skyview conversion. Other than a first flight of a buddies 12, I have no experience with the skyview. I welcome the input of you s/v gurus and appreciate it. Specifically, what kind of task am I contemplating here? Complete rewire, a lot of time in the "tunnel"? Thanks in advance guys.

Dave12,
I was in the position of having installed the D180 finishing kit wiring when the avionics were upgraded to skyview. Instead of altering (or upgrading) the wiring harnesses I ripped all the old ones out and ordered the new skyview finishing kit wiring harnesses. The only little bit of wiring I kept from the old kit was the spar pin reed switch wiring. The new wiring harnesses are well thought out and installation was a breeze. You will still have to use the supplied templates to drill all the new mounting holes in the avionics tray and firewall. I also had had to enlarge the headset socket holes and one of the routing holes on the tray. All this does necessitate the removal of the flight controls so you can get at the central tunnel. The only awkward bit (wiring wise) you are going to encounter is the wiring to the trim motor and the adahars box in the tail-cone. I was in the fortunate position of not having joined the tail-cone onto the fuselage which made life easier.

After reading all of the head-aches reported on the forum about getting the skyview upgrade working, I am glad I did it this way.

James

Dave

Just bite the bullet and order, but you also need to update that analog cell phone.

I did the upgrade wiring (or more exactly I AM doing it). The upgrade wiring kit is complete, with some bugs, but I wish I had tossed all the D180 wiring and started over with the Skyview harness, I suspect the cost would have been about the same.. That eliminates many connectors and a wad of wires.

How to convert to Skyview

Read this thread.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=82782

Then Download sections 42C and 42D of the plans or get them from someone.

LOVE the Skyview!

Oh - where it talks about pulling and eliminating 4 wires from the tail, dont do it. You can use those 4 for the ADSB that you can mount on the back of that bulkhead.

AND since you will need to revise the panel pieces, install the don't-have-to-remove-the-engine-control-cables-anymore modification in the modifications sticky thread!

Last edited:
We got the Skyview conversion about halfway through our wiring harness installation. It was a bit of a headache to translate certain things from one platform to another, and yes I spent my fair share of time "in the tunnel" wrestlig wires, but it is worth it! Fortunatley most of it is plug n play. The convineince of the skyview will definetley outweigh the bit of pain it takes to convert.