tullow

Hello to all,
I am upgrading the ignition system on my Vans RV7 and changing from Bendix to Slick.
Right now the the airplanes Lycoming IO360 is equipped with a Bendix S4LN-204 on the left side with an impulse coupling and a S4LN -200 direct drive on the right side.
Before ordering an upgrade kit ref. - K4517-40, I need to know if the magnetos as supplied in this kit are equipped with drive gears and ,if not, can I transfer the drive gears from my old Bendix units to the new Slick magnetos?. Are they the same?. I've tried calling Champion but have'nt been able to talk to anyone.

I would appreciate a prompte reply as my plane is AOG with the mag problem.

Many thanks in advance

Mike Greene

PS Engine is an 0 360 which was converted to an IO 360

Upgrade??

Hi Mike,
I can't answer your questions but I must say that switching from Bendix to Slicks is not an "upgrade" in my opinion.:eek:

There are some that will argue that point for sure. I'm just a Bendix guy.

Mark

Mags

Hi Mike,
I can't answer your questions but I must say that switching from Bendix to Slicks is not an "upgrade" in my opinion.:eek:

There are some that will argue that point for sure. I'm just a Bendix guy.

Mark

Me too! Why don't you have your Bendix mags rebiilt?:D

I'd keep the Bendix if only for the ease of connecting the P-lead...and I have slicks...last pair of slicks...

Bendix to Slick

Hi Mike,

I did the "upgrade" a couple years ago. I kept my gears and installed them on the new Slicks. If you do decide to get the Slicks, remember to send them your wire harnesses too.

BTW, after around 50 hours my left mag failed and had to be replaced with another Slick. It took 5-6 months to get my money back as I had to pay for the replacement until the failed one was "inspected".

Mitch Garner
RV-4 flying

The drive gears for the impulse and non-impulse Bendix/ TCM mags is the same for the Slick impulse and non impulse mags. The Slick mags kit doesn't come with drive gears, you have to switch them over.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

A change of heart !!

Having read the different replies I've finally decided to go for a pair of remanufactured Bendix mags which ,of course, saves me some money and simplifies the installation. Its interesting to see your "pro Bendix" bias, as here in France the preferences would appear to be more evenly split. Are there any statistics on the reliability of both makes?

Thanks for your help

Mike

Bendix mags are easier to work on since they can be completely disassembled without special tools, unlike the Slicks which require a special puller to remove the rotor. The Slicks are easier to set the e-gap than the Bendix mags. I would encourage you to get the manual, or better yet the help of an A&P and overhaul them yourself. They are very simple to work on and you will have a better understanding of the mag in the future if you have any problems with it. I could have one apart and put back together in a half-hour or so.

It's not hard to see why the bendix mags are better when you see the internal components. If you have a local shop that’s works on mags ask them to show you some of the differences you'll be amazed