mandm1516

Well Known Member
I received my partially completed -8 kit a few weeks ago. So far I've been finishing up my shop space and starting at various pieces and parts of the project to get a feel for it all before getting started. It's a quick build kit and the previous owner finished the empenage. He opted for manual elevator trim--I'd prefer electric. I can't find anything in the archives about the challenge of converting from one to the other. Is it a pretty big project at this point?

Thanks!

Mike

Dirt Simple

You shouldn't have any major issues converting. In fact, if I recall correctly there are only two items to change:

- access plate where electric trim servo mounts on the underside of the left elevator

- trim tab actuator arm

The trim tab arm might be a little bit of a job as you may need to rivet on a new actuator arm if they ground off the extra tab for the electric trim. Same arm is used for both manual or electric on the original part (bellcrank arm) and you retain one of two fork mounts on the arm - typically the other is ground away.

If you had to replace this it may require some surgery to tear apart the trim tab and rivet on a new arm.

Cheers,

Rob

Just my bias, but I would leave the manual trim in it. I have flown 8 or 9 RVs in both configurations and hate the electric trim. The manual trim is much more precise and easy to use. Don