Derek

Hi All,

Just curious as to what would be involved, if indeed at all possible, to convert an O-360 to an IO-360 ?

Thanks in advance.

Well, you could do it the hardest way possible, like I did: Buy a used O-360 off eBay (with a backwards facing sump and front-mounted governor), throw a Superior cold-air horizontal intake sump on it, and finish it off with an Airflow Performance fuel injection system. You'll have to rework some of the baffles, get custom length fuel hoses and cables, make your own cable brackets, and if you use the Vetterman crossover exhaust, you'll have to get really clever with heat shields and cable routing. You might save a little money, but only if everything goes right and you get a stellar deal on the engine. Have an A&P look it over before you buy it, regardless.

I know the above sounds like whining, but it's not. This engine is going to rock the house when I'm done tinkering, and I have no regrets about doing it the way I did. Of course, knowing what I know now, I may have done it differently, but maybe not. But you should know what you're in for if you start ordering off-menu and a la carte.

The easiest way to do it is this: Buy a used O-360 that's as close as possible to the configuration that Van's sells, then get a Precision Silverhawk or a used or ovehauled Bendix FI system. With a stock Lycoming sump of either vertical or horizontal flavor, the bits in the appropriate FWF kit from Van's should just work with minimal hiccups.

I guess the short answer is 'yes, it's possible,' and 'but it depends.' This is experimental aviation, anything can be made to work, given enough resources, and assuming it doesn't violate principles of safety or the physical laws of the universe.

Well, you could do it the hardest way possible, like I did: Buy a used O-360 off eBay (with a backwards facing sump and front-mounted governor), throw a Superior cold-air horizontal intake sump on it, and finish it off with an Airflow Performance fuel injection system. You'll have to rework some of the baffles, get custom length fuel hoses and cables, make your own cable brackets, and if you use the Vetterman crossover exhaust, you'll have to get really clever with heat shields and cable routing. You might save a little money, but only if everything goes right and you get a stellar deal on the engine. Have an A&P look it over before you buy it, regardless.

I know the above sounds like whining, but it's not. This engine is going to rock the house when I'm done tinkering, and I have no regrets about doing it the way I did. Of course, knowing what I know now, I may have done it differently, but maybe not. But you should know what you're in for if you start ordering off-menu and a la carte.

The easiest way to do it is this: Buy a used O-360 that's as close as possible to the configuration that Van's sells, then get a Precision Silverhawk or a used or ovehauled Bendix FI system. With a stock Lycoming sump of either vertical or horizontal flavor, the bits in the appropriate FWF kit from Van's should just work with minimal hiccups.

I guess the short answer is 'yes, it's possible,' and 'but it depends.' This is experimental aviation, anything can be made to work, given enough resources, and assuming it doesn't violate principles of safety or the physical laws of the universe.

Thanks John,

So assuming that my yet to be purchased O-360 has the correct sump, the part of the conversion that involves replacing the carb with the say a Bendix FI body should be pretty much straight forward ? Regarding the governer, I'm now real sure all that part works.

Regards

Derek

I did the conversion on mine after flying for 2 years with a carb. Got the kit from AFP and dug in. Requires all new fuel lines/filter, relocate some firewall fittings, 2 new fuel pumps, new throttle/mixture cables/brackets etc. Not overly difficult but was quite a bit of work. Glad I did it.

Thanks John,

So assuming that my yet to be purchased O-360 has the correct sump, the part of the conversion that involves replacing the carb with the say a Bendix FI body should be pretty much straight forward ? Regarding the governer, I'm now real sure all that part works.

Regards

Derek

Not only will you need the throttle body, you'll need the fuel distributor, lines, and new inter-cylinder baffles to accommodate the fuel line from the TB to the fuel distributor, and as Walt mentioned, new pumps. Both Precision and AFP sell the components downstream from the engine fuel pump as a kit. AFP also has a high-pressure electric boost pump kit that Van's sells. I forgot to mention that you'll need to change out the engine-driven pump for the high-pressure version. Some of this stuff can be a little bit tricky, but Airflow Performance's documentation and support is legendary and that counted for a lot in influencing my decision to use their system.

The way it works is this (Correct me if I'm wrong): the throttle body feeds fuel to the distributor, commonly called a spider, which allows a metered amount of fuel into ports in the cylinder heads during the intake part of the cycle.

This is different from electronic fuel injection where solenoid-operated injectors squirt fuel into the cylinders when a computer tells them to. An example of that would be Simple Digital Systems or EFII (flyefii.com). With either, you have to weld injector bosses on your intake pipes, but EFII does it for you if you send them your pipes. A conventional Bendix-type system has ports already drilled into the cylinder heads to accommodate the injector nozzles.

The other option available is something like an Ellison Throttle Body Injection system or the Rotec TBI, where the fuel is injected into the throttle body instead of the cylinders. Ellison systems have been known to ice up, so you'll still have to do the duct work for carb heat.

Thanks John,

Regards

Derek

Also look at the cylinder heads - it will be easier if they are already tapped for injector nozzles. The sump is not a deal breaker - Airflow offer an elbow that can be used to turn the injector through 90??. Yes, if you're building this up it will not be difficult. Make sure you order the correct fuel pump, etc.

Pete

Pick up the phone and give Don Rivera a call at Airflow Performance. Ask him the same question. At the end of the call, you'll be giving Don your credit card number. He provides great support and is always willing to assist.

He's helped me several times this past week or so with an issue that he didn't create. Although he did help resolve it!

We need more vendors like Don.....

bob

Another vote for AFP. Just get the AFP system as it comes with everything you need and great instructions. Also AFP injectors have a tuneable insert so you can balance them. Don