dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Looking to convert a 6a with old 6a mount to a tailwheel. Vans doesn?t sell the 6 mount anymore and only makes the 7 mount.

Has anyone done this conversion? If so, do the holes line up? How hard of a conversion would this be?

Thanks,
D

I understand that the RV-6 was one of the non-prepunched kits. If that's the case, the holes were probably made by holding the RV-6A engine mount to the firewall for reference. So it would only be happenstance that the RV-7 mount's holes would line up.

Van's technical support should be have the definitive answer.

Dave

I considered installing the RV7 320 mount with the further fwd engine position on my 2000 era kit to help with W&B. I spoke to the company that makes the mounts. They told me that my mount was made by a different company with a different jig and that the prior company didn't keep very tight tolerances. They informed me that it was very likely that the holes would off between the two mounts.

I ultimately decided that it was worth the hassle.

Larry

Last edited:
I've got a brand new cowling for a -7 in Savannah, GA, for an O-320. If you need one or want to upgrade... and if any of your buddies are driving to Sun 'n' Fun, they'll be passing by here.

Ed

Was, or Was Not? Did you do the conversion?

I did not do the conversion. I didn't want the hassle of tearing up the plating behind the firewall to address hogged out holes that would likely result from the new mount. Not a fun job. the first owner of my kit left me a hogged out hole (for the the engine mount) that needed to be addressed. It was a decent amount of work and that was with the front top skin off. Not a job that I wanted to do while laying upside down under the panel. Those older guys like me, with bifocals, know what I am talking about.

Larry

Last edited:
If you have a professional welder nearby, you could always give it a try, if the holes don't line up, Modify the mount as needed and reweld.

What year was your 6A built? The later kits came with the pre-punched RV-7 firewall. If your firewall is one piece, then it is the later -7 version. If the curved sides are riveted on, then it is the older firewall.

RV-7 Firewall on RV-6A:
FP22062012A0003W.jpg

I considered installing the RV7 320 mount with the further fwd engine position on my 2000 era kit to help with W&B. I spoke to the company that makes the mounts. They told me that my mount was made by a different company with a different jig and that the prior company didn't keep very tight tolerances. They informed me that it was very likely that the holes would off between the two mounts.

I ultimately decided that it was worth the hassle.

Larry

Larry, when I replaced my mount two years ago (found a crack), I had to send Steve Furjesi at Experimental Aircraft Metal Fabrication Inc my old mount. He made a jig from that and welded up a new mount for me, sent it to Van's to have the gear leg bolt holes drilled, powder coated, and shipped across the country to South Carolina. The cost was $2,000 plus shipping.

He did a great job and it bolted right up.