ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I am in the process of purchasing a 2000 RV-6. It has a 28 volt system. I have read the threads on the relative merits of 14v and 28v systems, and understand both sides.

So, I'm looking for forum input on the advantages of converting from 28v to 14v, other than the obvious weight of the second 14v battery.

Also, what complications might I encounter?

I know that I would have to change the alternator, and perhaps the starter if it does not have a 14v tap. I would have to be sure that the wiring to the lights and beacon, which are 28v, would handle twice the current. I might have to change circuit breakers if they did not have enough capacity.

Anything else y'all can think of that might cause me anguish?

Is all that worth saving the weight of a battery and being able to get an alternator at the local auto parts store?

As always, thanks in advance....

What about avionics? Some newer ones will work with anything 12 - 28 volts; some will only work with a specific voltage, so any of those you have which require 28 volts only will have to be swapped out, or a 12 to 28 volt power supply added. Same for electric gyros. All light bulbs.

I think you can count on re-wiring the entire plane. Pretty much the only reason for using 28 volts was to use thinner (larger gauge #) wire to save weight, so unless the builder used thicker wire just for the heck of it, you have a real job on your hands. What do you have going to the starter?