mattsmith

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to install my Control push rods for the elevator in the 8 and was wondering if any of you used safety wire on the jam nuts for the rod ends, the drawings say nothing about this and the instructions make no mention ether. the only thing I can see that is called to be safety wired is the flap motor.
the F-840 push rod ends has holes in the rod end that look like it is meant to be drilled threw the stud and safetied with a cotter pin or wire, any one do this or is the jam nut all that is required?
I have double checked that the rod ends are at least halfway on so if the jam nuts did come loose the rod ends cant come completely off the push rod.

Thanks for any help.

Just the 'more than half way' rule

I didn't do anything else, and I have not seen anyone do more. I would be interested to hear. I just did my condition inspection after a year, and I did not find any that were loose.

The most safety-critical jam-nut tightening is on the elevator and rudder hinge rod ends. The tighening of the jam nut on those hinge bearings changes the structural loading path significantly, and I don't think it would be safe to fly with those loose. I check them on pre-flight.

Those holes are to make sure you have enough insertion into the rod end. Stick something in there to make sure the rod is inserted at least that far into the rod end.

Those holes are to make sure you have enough insertion into the rod end. Stick something in there to make sure the rod is inserted at least that far into the rod end.

That makes sense and I would have never thought that was what the holes were for. I have been measuring the treads before I thread the rod end on and marking it so I don't go past Half way to get the proper center to center. thanks for the info.

YEP!

They're called witness holes.