Pirkka

Well Known Member
...with the sewer pipes coming with wing kit? It just feels that 1/2" steel pipe is so small and I don't have any (it sure doens't cost much). The wing has sewer pipes that has diameter of 4/5" which is much more than 1/2" so could the leading edges rolled with it? The lenght would be fine...

So do I roll the edges tonight or will I head to the store tomorrow morning?

I will be rolling my empenage leading edges tonight. I checked the section in the manual over the weekend (chapter 5) and they gave 2 sizes - 3/4" and 1". Granted, I am building a -8, but I doubt little if any difference with the -7

Last edited:
I went to Home Depot and purchased some items that seem to work for me. Here is the link Click If you need pics of the actual tool that I made, I can take them when I get home.

gpiney said:
I will be rolling my empenage leading edges tonight. I checked the section in the manual over the weekend (chapter 5) and they gave 2 sizes - 3/4" and 1". Granted, I am building a -8, but I doubt little if any difference with the -7
As i already recalled that 1/2" dimension, I checked only the picture in the last pages of chapter 5 where this 1/2" is mentioned --> I just checked what my text part says:?3/4" to 1" tube... interesting. :eek: Thanks for pointing that out!

This might be a good tip:

If you don't have suitable tube for rolling leading edges of control suffaces, just order wing kit and then you have right size sewer pipe to do it. ;)

Well, some members of EAA Chapter 898 came over tonight to help me roll the leading edges of my right elevator. We discovered a few things and here they are:

1. We rolled the bottom with 3/4" pipe and the top with 1/2" pipe.

2. Use pipe wrenches, not visegrips. Much more leverege. Best done with 2 people, each with a wrench one end.

3. You cannot possibly have too much duct tape on. Besides a single strip along the entire edge, we put multiple (read 'no gap between') strips on the skin cross-wise onto the pipe.

4. Make the piece of pipe only 1-1.5" longer than the end of the last tab. Otherwise the weldment interferes.

5. We used the Edge forming tool and hand seamers on the upper tabs to get a better lap joint.

It came out Perfect.

Here's how I did it FWIW

Pirkka said:
...with the sewer pipes coming with wing kit? It just feels that 1/2" steel pipe is so small and I don't have any (it sure doens't cost much). The wing has sewer pipes that has diameter of 4/5" which is much more than 1/2" so could the leading edges rolled with it? The lenght would be fine...

So do I roll the edges tonight or will I head to the store tomorrow morning?

Here's the method I used for what it's worth: http://www.rv8alog.com/empennage/elevators/Left/e12.htm