gpiney

Well Known Member
I am about to assemble the plans bending brake for the control surfaces. I have read numerous times about the need for a gap between the boards. Anywhere from none to 3/16". Could I get a consensus of what the gap should be? The word from repeat offenders most welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

I used four door hinges ad got about an 1/8th inch height difference. I then taped the lower out board and in board skins to the brake base. Used an 1/8th inch wood dowel running down the aft edge of the elevator. I then started the bending process. To make a long story short I could have saved many interations if I would have just put the two halves of the brake nearly together with elevator skin sandwiched in the middle. I noted before I really put some muscle too it that when I clecoed the elevator together it would have a bow in the trailing edge. That went away when I put the squeeze to it. It turned out great in the end.

By the way are you the Greg Piney that was building a Vision..............sorry for the dumb ? if your not!

Frank @ SGU and SLC

Greg,
I had no gap between my boards. I butted the trailing edge of the elevator against the hinges and then carefully bent the TE. It turned out perfect. Also, if you are putting a lot of physical effort into bending it, something isn't right.

Good Luck.

I had no gap on mine, either, and got good results, although I had trouble with the skins trying to "squirt" out of the brake. I put some double faced scotch tape on the boards, carefully positioned the skin at the start and came out ok.

fstringham7a said:
Greg

By the way are you the Greg Piney that was building a Vision..............sorry for the dumb ? if your not!

Frank @ SGU and SLC

Yes, Frank, the same. Finally became allergic to epoxy after 7 years. A very mild reaction, but why push it.

gpiney said:
Yes, Frank, the same. Finally became allergic to epoxy after 7 years. A very mild reaction, but why push it.

I was building a Lancair 360 and developed a deathly alergic reaction to the Jeffco epoxy so I feel your pain.
Don't overthink the bender. I left a 1/8" gap in mine and it worked perfect with no bowing in the surfaces at all. Don