KRviator

Well Known Member
G'day all,

I spent a few hours today installing, cursing, removing and finally reinstalling the stick assembly in the -9A today, then tried sitting in it making airplane noises. As you do...:p

One thing I've noticed is the stick doesnt go forward much beyond the vertical. I'm getting perhaps 30* total throw, and maybe 25* of that is aft of vertical. I think I may have sold myself a little short in the trimming of the inboard seat ribs, as that's what's limiting the stick assembly fore and aft. No big problem to fix, but before I go hacking into the QB fuse, again, I'd like to know it is really necessary.

What are the rest of you getting for fore and aft throw? I'm yet to install the tail feathers so can't really use the elevator travel to set the limits, but I am curious as to the actual distance the stick should move.

Cheers,

Until you install the tail feathers and set the elevator limits and install the wings and set the aileron limits, there isn't anyway to know if you need to open the seat ribs some. At this point, you're just guessing. I'd suggest you also look at where the panel is going to go. It's a bit closer than I anticipated and it will limit how far forward the stick can travel.

Unless something other than the structure around the stick is limiting travel, at the point you are in the build, I can't think of a problem. Now quit making airplane noises and keep pounding those rivets!

Keep in mind the neutral position of the stick is intended by Vans to be 5 degrees forward. I was having "positioning" and travel problems similar to yours at one time, and called Vans to ask.
I followed Vans instructions for the basic setup on the elevator pushrods, including getting the bellcrank in a perfect vertical position at stick-neutral. Once I made some small length adjustments on the fwd elevator p-rod, it all worked very nicely. I did find later that I had to cut off the stick another 1/2", because at the full fwd and right stick position, it touched the knob of the throttle control. The latter sticks out further than you suspect while you're doing the early-on elevator control set-ups.