Frank Smidler

Well Known Member
I really don't want a fancy stick grip. My original plan for my RV-6 was to use bicycle handle grip foam over the tube and get the Cleaveland aluminum stick plugs and PTT buttons. Now that I am ready to wire my radios I do not find the stick plugs in Cleavelands catalogue anymore. Are they available from somewhere else?

How do other RVators like the stick grips they have? Is anyone just using a bare stick? Any suggestion for a simple end plug/PTT set-up? I want only a PTT switch and nothing else on the stick (No trim, flaps, paint gun trigger, rocket launcher, 'nueclur' bomb release, etc.)

I liked the grips I saw on the Diamond Katina but I doubt they are the correct size and I am concerned they would be pricey.

Thanks for your input.

custom stick grip

I had the same problem... either you settled for a bicycle grip
or the F-16 grip, nothing much in between.

I made my grip from ABS pipe. $5 for the pipe, I can make about 20 grips!

Vern Little RV-9A

118_1889_1.jpg

118_1880_2.jpg

Complete information at http://www3.telus.net/aviation/flying/RV-9A/Tips.html

I used the Ray Allen G101 grips. Since I went with manual trim and placed the flap switch between the seats, this simplified wiring and allowed the use of the single push button grip for pilot and co-pilot. They are very comfy and fit the Van's sticks very well due to the several size inserts included for various stick diameters. I like the fact that they fit either hand if I want to rest one on long flights.

Roberta

Ray Allen's myself, Frank. Very simple and only one button.

Picture here. Items of note: 1) trim on arm rest and 2) passenger stick just pulls out (nothing wired). The passenger PPT is the small button on the far right portion of the panel. I stow that stick often (especially on the long, cross country trip to Idaho backcountry when I have a week's worth of camping gear piled up in the pax seat)

IMG_0670.jpg

fmi: http://www.rayallencompany.com/products/stickgrips.html

Best,

Last edited:
Ray Allen Stick Grip

Doug, a couple questions about the Ray Allen Stick Grips. I had a chance to look at your plane in October when I stopped by and visited with Danny, but I was not focusing on the stick grip at the time. With only a few hours in an RV I was wondering how confortable the grip is. In cruise it would seem that you would rest your arm on your leg and hold the stick below the grip, is this true and is it comfortable, ie the grip does not interfere? Did you shorten the stick any from stock?

Thanks for responding.