idleup

Well Known Member
I am test fitting the control column in the RV-7 and was wondering how much movement there should be? When I move the column back the bottom part of WD-610 weldment where the pushrod is connected in the center channel will hit the spar (so I know it cant go any further).

However, when I move the stick forward, it hits against the top of the ribs (where the holes have been oblonged as per DWG 22). My question is should I keep oblonging those holes until the stick hits the spar as well? Right now the WD-610 about 1/2" before the stick hits the spar...

Thanks.

- Matt

idleup said:
I am test fitting the control column in the RV-7 and was wondering how much movement there should be? When I move the column back the bottom part of WD-610 weldment where the pushrod is connected in the center channel will hit the spar (so I know it cant go any further).

However, when I move the stick forward, it hits against the top of the ribs (where the holes have been oblonged as per DWG 22). My question is should I keep oblonging those holes until the stick hits the spar as well? Right now the WD-610 about 1/2" before the stick hits the spar...

No need to enlarge those holes right now. Wait until your elevator is on and you have set the stop to stop travel of the elevator horns. The limits of the movement of the horns is what determines the extent of fore-aft stick travel.

You'll hit the stops far before you hit the spar.

freeedom of movement.

If your fit is anything like my brothers 7A then you'll need to grind out the ribs or else your stick will be in you belly trying to get the desired degree of movement. I used my dremel with a sanding wheel this made short work of the ribs.

I did go ahead and wait until the stop was made, but then ended up grinding more out of the rib area in order to hit the stops. No biggie, I used a fine tooth carbide burr and a dremel with a 90degree attachment and followed it up with some sandpaper and maroon scotchbrite pads.