Mummy16

I am assisting on an RV8A and have a rub is between Control column WD-807 and the F-839 pushrod assy. Ref RV-8 DWG-25. The rub is on the inside fwd bottom of the column only when the control stick is straight up. This can't be correct

Welcome to VAF!

Ed, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Roller coaster mechanic????? Sounds like a fun but stressful job.

You are right the control movement should not be causing any rubbing.

Do you have the plans available---------this should be addressed in the linkage setup, I suspect.

Check this carefully!!

When I was assembling this I noted that there was very little clearance between the linkage bolt that attaches the stick to the elevator pushrod and the inside of the control column tubing.

I remember trimming the bolt a little and grinding a bit inside the control column tube to give more clearance. The factory cutout inside was very rough...

It may be a place to look carefully because it seemed to me that if this nut were to come loose a bit it has the potential to jam the elevator...

I second that. I looked for a very long time till I came across the bolts on the passenger side of that rod. They were rubbing either the head of the bolt or threads. I spaced them with washers but I think I might do as Rob suggested to do a bit of grinding for clearance;).

How old is the kit.
There was a problem in the early kits with occasional rubbing on the bottom of WD807 and one method that was recommended was to GENTLY squeeze WD807 to give clearance.

Rob
RV3 bought Flying
RV8 Very Very slow build thats how I knew about the above.

I am assisting on an RV8A and have a rub is between Control column WD-807 and the F-839 pushrod assy. Ref RV-8 DWG-25. The rub is on the inside fwd bottom of the column only when the control stick is straight up. This can't be correct

You are right, this can not be correct.

My drawing is DWG-79 dated 3/14/06. It has a warning note about the bolts that attach the push rod assembly to the sticks, they must clear the tube by 1/8".

If I understand your "rubbing" it is the push rod bearing that is rubbing on the bottom of the tube when the stick is vertical. What that tells me is the vertical dimension of the stick from the upper pivot bolt down to the push rod assembly is wrong.

Check to make sure the aft stick is in the aft position and the front stick is up front. There could be a difference in that vertical dimension.

If that is not the issue, call Vans.

Found the problem! This is a second owner project that I am assisting on. The wrong tube is installed between the FWD and Rear sticks. Ordering the correct one! It was supposed to be a tapered tube!