flydjd

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I have done a search (as usual) but haven't found an answer yet !

My progress is this :- wings/flaps/ailerons all mounted with fuselage - flaps aligned with ailerons (which are aligned with tooling holes as per plans) and next stage is to connect all together and set up sticks in perpendicular position.

A couple of Q's please

1. Is this stage necessary (at this time in the building sequence) as I will be removing both wings again - the only thing I can think of is for reference for fabricating and installing the elevator pushrods.
My garage isn't big enough to fit both wings and tail feathers concurrently.

If so any tips please for correct order to connect pushrods/fittings.

2. Is it sufficient just to use the aileron setting position tool/guide on one side only or does it need to be used on each side. (My thinking is that it needs to be used on both to set the correct aileron to bellcrank length)

Sorry for what may be obvious querys but I am spending too long at the computer looking for answers.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Built in my garage, like so many others.

Don't fret about not being able to put the wings on the fuselage until final assembly. The aileron jig to position the bellcrank, and the piece of aluminum angle made to match the jig holes (chord line) in the wing tip ribs give you all you need to verify the adjustable length of the small push rods from the bellcrank to the ailerons. You can see all that stuff in my wings section of my web site, and again when I am doing the final assembly at the airport. Click on my web site link below for the photos and text regarding anything you want to know about my slow-build RV-9A.

If you can do both at the same time it will be a lot easier to get everything right the first time. I made another aileron bellcrank jig and my whole setup came out perfect the first time. Don

One other thing, If you can mount your wingtips now when you have everything else centered. They take a lot of fiddling around to get them perfect. I had to split the trailing edge on one of mine to get it straight. Don

Not possible

If you can do both at the same time

Unfortunately not........fuselage and both wings take up the whole garage and its winter here in Germany so cannot leave garage doors open.....

Anyone else who can offer answers to Q's please ?

Control rigging answers

1. No, it is not necessary to do the aileron rigging at this time. You can do it later when when you are assembling the airplane.
  2. Yes, you will have to use the aileron bellcrank locating template in both wings.

Here was my situation...

Unfortunately not........fuselage and both wings take up the whole garage and its winter here in Germany so cannot leave garage doors open.....

Anyone else who can offer answers to Q's please ?

Take a look at this photo when I was at that stage.
DSCL0195.JPG

You can read all about how I did the aileron rigging, and the alignment of the wing tips on this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a111.htm

As you read ahead, you will see where I did the final checks of everything on both ailerons during final assembly a the airport. Check out the last three photos and text on this web page: http://www.n2prise.org/rv9a125.htm

Except for putting the wings on, I was able to build the airplane in my 1-car garage.