rwshooter

Well Known Member

I'm finishing the shaping portion of the elevator counterweight to HS tip. This gap is 3/32 the same as the side gap. Is this enough? Cant find a standard on this.

Robb....-7a

I used 1/8", but 3/32" will probably be fine. I would make sure that the clearance remains 3/32" as the elevator counterbalance arm moves through the tip. On mine I sanded the inside area of the tip slightly concave to provide the clearance.

hey rocky,

The clearance does close up a bit when swinging. last night I started to round off the elevator edges just to soften the edge a bit and it helped a little. I think it needs more but I dont want to ruin my straight lines What cleaver sanding tool did you use to concave the the HS tip?

Robb....-7a

I actually enclosed the tips recessed a bit and then filled to the outside edge. I still needed to radius the tips a bit. Stick some sandpaper on a piece of PVC pipe, soup can, spoon etc. You can also use the curved rubber sanding blocks that clamp the sandpaper inside ears. Just clamp the sandpaper on the curved outside.

3/32" will probably be OK if nothing shifts.

Personally, I like to see 1/8" minimum. Remember paint will close the gap somewhat.

I opened the gap to 1/8 and put a little concave to the HS side..........looks alot better and has plenty of room for paint.......Thanks

Robb..-7a

Gap

Mine has just less than 3/32" gap and over 200 hrs. I see slight scuffing on the paint between the two. I'm not sure if this is happening during flight or during the "Five Gallon Paint Shaker" routine with a Lycoming engine during start up and shut down.:rolleyes:

I would recommend a bit more to avoid any possibility of jamming.

If the gap is too tight, and you ever end up in icing conditions with a bit of elevator counter balance showing in the air stream, you could end up with a control jam. Don't make the gap too tight if you fly IFR.