denbobp

Well Known Member
The builders plan requires the control column to hang freely after install. My hangs freely until I tightened the AN 3 bolts throught the square spacers into the floor structure. I've widened my holes through the square spacers but it doesn't fix the issue. There seems to be a few ounces of friction so I don't know if this is considered acceptable????? When I move it by hand it stays in place rather then return via pull of gravity. A concern during flight is there any twist in the airframe that might cause that friction to multiply? Thanks for sharing any ideas with this issue.

Bearing alignment

The builders plan requires the control column to hang freely after install. My hangs freely until I tightened the AN 3 bolts throught the square spacers into the floor structure. I've widened my holes through the square spacers but it doesn't fix the issue. There seems to be a few ounces of friction so I don't know if this is considered acceptable????? When I move it by hand it stays in place rather then return via pull of gravity. A concern during flight is there any twist in the airframe that might cause that friction to multiply? Thanks for sharing any ideas with this issue.

I initially had the same issue, you will find some post on here about it I am sure. First make sure the forward and aft bearings are lined up, that can be the issue, you might have to play with taking one up or down to take out the binding. Also for me I did a poor job of drilling the holes through the rear bearing support into the floor rib. I ended up slotting the holes in the support so that I could get things to line up properly. If set up correctly it should move nice a smoothly.

That was my experience and ideas I picked up off this forum, hopefully someone who has built a few of these will chime in with more help.

Cheers