Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I am using McFarlane push-pull cables for things like oil cooler shutter, cabin heat and (the question at hand) the alternate air door.

These cables have a fairly thick (I think it's .093") inner cable.

Stock instructions for attaching to the alternate air door have you wrapping the cable around the #8 screw and cinching down with a washer and nut.

The inner surface of the door has to be flat, obviously, which necessitates a flat-head screw (or equivalent).

Anybody have a better method for attaching the cable? The thick inner cable *is* bendable, but my tests end up with a relatively unattractive (although serviceable) loop of wire.

N.B. The whole alternate air door assembly is already built, so I'm not looking for alternative solutions to the door. Neither am I interested in *not* having an alternate air source. Just a different way of attaching the cable to the screw (or a different sort of "screw" to attach to).

I thought of drilling a hole in the screw itself...not sure if that's a viable option or not.

TIA...

Steve

Without seeing your setup, kinda hard to answer.

You may have to attach a small piece of angle to the door, and use that as an attach point for the bug nut and cable.