Rick of Austin

Well Known Member
As I learn more about the -12 and the electrical/avionics systems integration I get more uncomfortable with the entire airplane's functions being dependant on a solid state control board made by.... Who? And not having access to schematics for repair or maintenance.

I would rather have a simple electrical system, like a basic VFR one shown in The Sportplane Builder using circuit breaker switches for each electrical item, power, ground and avionics buses and a separate fuel pump switch.

Are the systems so integrated (engine & avionics kits) that it would be difficult to not buy the avionics kit and install systems more like a C-150?

My RV-6 used an electrical system lifted right from a C-152 owners manual.
During inevitable upgrades and repairs that decision was validated many time over by me and my A&P.

Oh... since the Skyview has an integrated transponder and GPS, that plus a com radio could be it! (I bet the Skyview will have a com within a year :)

Control board versus do it yourself wiring

I get more uncomfortable with the entire airplane's functions being dependent on a solid state control board
The control board does have switches that control electrical devices and it has electronics that control the trim tab speed and there is an audio amplifier for the stall warning and other audio inputs. Fuses and some resistors (that are part of engine sensor circuits) and the ammeter shunt are all located on the control board. But for the most part, the control board is not a solid state device that controls the entire airplane. Part of the board can fail, for instance the trim speed, and everything else will still work. Much of the aircraft wiring just passes through the control board, going in one D-Sub connector and out another one. Printed circuit board traces are unlikely to fail. The main purpose of the control board is to have a convenient place to connect all of the aircraft wiring. And it simplifies wiring the airplane, making it easy for those with little electrical knowledge.
The biggest disadvantage of the control board is that all eggs are in one basket. Suppose that some minor function fails, like the landing light switch. Replacing that switch is beyond the capabilities of most builders because the control board must be disassembled. While the board is shipped out for repairs, the RV-12 can not be flown.
I would rather have a simplified single-layer circuit board that only has the trim speed, audio amplifier, engine sensor resistors, stall warning, and spar pin relay. Switches and fuses and ammeter shunt can be discretely mounted. Wires that are not needed on the simplified control panel should not connect to or pass through the control panel. Those wires can connect directly to the appropriate equipment. Eliminating most of those D-Sub connectors will minimize failure points. Given the proper tools and instructions, builders can strip, crimp and terminate their own wires. Wiring one's own airplane might not be as easy as plug and play. But in the long run, it will be easier for builders and new owners and A&Ps to make repairs and upgrades.
One can decline to purchase the avionics kit from Van's, but then would not be able to register the RV-12 as an E-LSA. Yes, one can wire their own RV-12 without Van's control board. It will not be as easy as plug and play; so it will take you much longer. I recommend this circuit as a starting point: http://www.aeroelectric.com/PPS/Adobe_Architecture_Pdfs/Z16M.pdf
It was designed by my mentor, Bob Nuckolls. The avionics manufactures provide installation instructions to help connect their products. You would have to figure out all of the settings and parameters, not an easy task.
Speaking of the Skyview, rumor has it that Van's will offer that in the future.
Joe