Pbr47906

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if a Continental IO-360 has been installed in an RV6 or 7? With the difficulty of finding an Lyc, I an wondering if this would be an option.

Thanks
Paul
RV-7A Fuselage
LAF
N277PM

Van put one in a -10...

...so Ross McCutcheon (Van's steel parts fabricator), has made a motor mount for one. Seems that everyone wanted the higher horsepower IO-540.

You're looking at quite a bit of fab work if you decide to go this route,

Best,

Great Engine

Runs smooth and starts easy. A little thirsty and 1/3 more cylinders, spark plugs, valves, pistons, etc. Ours used a bed mount, so it would be quite different.

Runs smooth and starts easy. A little thirsty and 1/3 more cylinders, spark plugs, valves, pistons, etc. Ours used a bed mount, so it would be quite different.

They also have quite a reputation for rust if you don't pop the oil filler cap off after flight and change the oil/fly regularly.

TBO is <2000 depending on model.

On a side note, JD, what engine is in the Musketeer again? Lyc O-320 right? The only Continental I know of they ever had was the O-346... A O-470 with two cylinders lopped off. THATS an oddball...

NOT

a reliable engine in my experience. Had one in a Mooney 231 turbo. It dumped us in an almond orchard under low IFR conditions. Lycosaurus makes a much tougher engine in my experience.

I'd stay with what you know works to keep the fan spinning...

Just as reliable as a big bore continental. That means leaky valves due to big valves, lower compressions, higher oil consumption, lower real life TBO, etc. Heavier than a 360 lyc and more bucks to overhaul than a 520. But they run really smooth. I think they got flogged in the turbo mooneys. They do okay in skysmashers. Used to be a million CAP planes with em. T-47's? (no spinner).

Thank you for your comments. I've never had a problem with the engine in my experience, however I'm not really up to developing the installation on my own. I was hoping to locate someone who "has gone before me".

Paul
N277PM.