Besides an RV-6 I also have a Cessna 172. I noticed today that when pushing and pulling on the propeller I had some crankshaft movement. Appears more than normal. I have searched hi and low on the web to find out what the acceptable crankshaft end play is for this motor with no luck. Would any of you gentlemen have that information?

Thank you for your help... Ken

The Lyc. Overhaul manual shows "crankshaft and crankcase front end clearance" as .009 to .016 inch for new, with a maximum clearance of 0.026 inch.

This would give max. fore-aft play as 0.017 inch. and should be easily checked with a feeler gauge.

OOPs - wrong manufacturer - above is for Lycomings...:rolleyes:

IO-360

The Hawk XP used the Continental IO-360. Cessna didn't build them very long. I can try to look this up but won't have access to a O/H manual for a few days. You could try calling one of the engine rebuild shops and asking.

Don B
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

This is for a 1977 Cessna 172 hawk XP... Continental IO-360, constant speed prop. 210 HP STC... Nice flying plane. Just worried about the end play.

cajunwings, if you could that would be great. Headed on vacation a few days and will check back later. I measured the total axial movement to be about .015-.016

IO-360 Crankshaft

From Publication X30594 - IO-360 Series Overhaul Manual,
Figure 72-30-08, Table of Limits (Chart 3)
Line 17: Crankshaft, in Thrust Bearings.....End Clearance:
Service Limit: 0.021"
New Minimum: 0.008"
New Maximum: 0.018"

neal
Continental Motors Tech Support