hevansrv7a

Well Known Member
I had a final conversation with the lady at Flight Guide today. She confirmed that for the two-issues per year (what I've been getting) I would need four of the new sections to equal my two old ones and thus the price would be approximately double. Of course, she wanted to tell me about the Ipad application, the internet application, etc.

I asked if they have a cumulative update publication - even on-line - like AirChart's. They don't.

I asked if I could buy only the states I want. No.

So she confirmed that: 1] the size is bigger, 2] the price for what I'd need is double, 3] the data is as much as 7 or more months old when in use, 4] the electronic version requires the paper version (I think that's true) and 5] it would be even more money for looseleaf version that would enable me to do as I was doing - build my own book of adjacent and nearby states.

That's my long intro to wondering about the Ipod Touch or similar stuff in the cockpit because the AOPA Airport Directory is available free for download to that or Windows 5 or Blackberry devices. Maybe it's not quite as good as Flight Guide but IMHO the difference is marginal and would not justify over $150/year in updates. It's also available on my Garmin '496. I can easily justify buying an Ipod Touch V4 with this application as the trigger and get a lot of extras, too.

I use electronic stuff on my panel with confidence but that stuff is designed for aviation. What has been the experience of forum members with consumer-grade e-toys in real life flying? Not laptops, just hand-held stuff.

Thanks!

Why change now? I am using my outdated versions of the Flight Guide supplemented with reasonably current GNS 430 updates. For larger airports I print out the airport layout from airnav.com if needed. Most smaller airports I can find what I need while taxiing.

Of course if you want that device, go for it.

Now if people want to guess when I will throw my Flight Guide away, I may start a poll on that.

Now if people want to guess when I will throw my Flight Guide away.....

Throw it away? I haven't subscribed for 20 years, and I still have my last ones sitting in my flying closet....I bet 90% of the info is still even valid. Of course, I woudln't know which 90%....;)

I just checked mine;

Throw it away? I haven't subscribed for 20 years, and I still have my last ones sitting in my flying closet....I bet 90% of the info is still even valid. Of course, I wouldn't know which 90%....;)

The ones in my closet are dated "March 1994".