RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready for my RV7 wings and was wondering if the Construction Videos are worth it?

My situation:

1) This is my first aircraft build, but I am fairly handy with tools and DIY projects.
2) I did go for instruction at Alexander Tech Center, where I successfully completed my RV7 empennage. So I am confident in the construction technique, tools and reading Van's plans and instructions.
3) The problem is, I have no RV buddy close by, that I can bug every 2nd day or so, to ask and get guidance what he did here or there.

I was hoping that the videos might give me an edge, an advantage, with the rest of the aircraft build.

So taking my situation into consideration:
1) The guys that have actually seen the videos, are they worth it?
2) Did you actually learn something from them?
3) Which ones would you recommend for a RV7 build?

Thank you very much in advance.:D

Kind Regards
Rudi

Rudi,
I have two different sets of videos. There are a few good tips in these videos but the meat of the subject is really out of date on the Orndorf tapes and the "From the Ground Up" tapes. All of these videos were shot before the new computer punch parts and so they almost put you a step backwards. I agonized over building a jig for months on my empennage but never needed one. See if you can get a more "up to date" set of tapes for the latest building techniques with the prepunched kits.

If you are not getting the quickbuild wings, then the Orndorf tapes will help you with the jig that is still a good thing for the wings. Probably all the tapes are of some help but keep the time lag in mind while watching.

Cheers, Pete

Construction Videos

Hi Rudi,

I found the videos I watched to be worth the time. They were old, but I learned something. I also went to the Alexander Technical Center to build my empennage, and I found it to be excellent. I didn't have to buy the videos, I borrowed them, so I can't really say they would be worth purchasing. What else are you going to do while waiting for the rest of your kit to be shipped to South Africa? :)

Rudi,

I bought the emp and wing tapes and found them useful in areas that the plans were a little confusing. The biggest problem is they were made prior to the prepunched kits. If you are a visual learner like me, you will find Dan's and other sites the most help. Dan has a picture of everything and by looking at his process and fiinished product I have not had any problems.

Good luck

Jim Kinsey
7A Wings

New tapes soon to be released

Just spoke with George Orndorff on Monday. He is in the process of finishing up a -7 and is therefore updating the majority of the tapes. Just finishing my emp, so I bought the wing video even though I am doing a QB. Figured worse case I can sell them when I am finished.

George said he will have a -7 fuse video coming out within a month or so, followed by an updated -7 finishing video out this fall as his plane goes to paint in Aug.

Take care,

Jim

Similar Situation

My situation was virtually identical to your situation but my kit was an RV-6A of 1996 vintage. I bought every video that the Orndorfs put out (building, finishing, systems and upholstery) and I found them extremely helpful especially obscure areas like the fiberglass work on the windshield, micro balloons, etc. I also bought the EAA Tony B books and they provided some information but less valuable. I bought the EAA test flight video and found it was almost worthless. I bought the firewall forward information set produced by Van's for the RV-7 - this is an area where I was really left hanging in the wind and it resolved that void in my knowledge enough to get the job done. I also used the old "Q/A" section of this website to get knowledgable people to provide answers to really sticky problems not addressed in the material I had. The most complete history of RVator available and a current subscription are good.

The view I established from the beginning was I was going to build the plane the very best I could starting with no previous homebuilt airplane experience. The price of any knowledge I could get to do the job right (without question) was worth it. I did not have the time or the money to make all of the mistakes on one airplane and then build another to do it right. When the price of a quality package pushes well over $60,000 (more like $100,000) the additional cost of some informative video tapes is trivial.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ
(RV of the week #9 this year)

Rudi,

I bought the wings video and found it useful. It was up to date with the pre-punched parts. I got a few helpful hints from the tapes, but mostly it help me visualize the upcoming building sessions. They're also good motivation. When something (like tank building) seems overwhelming, you can watch George breeze through it.

Dave

You bet they are worth it!

My situation was simular to Bob's...building a non punched 6A. Many parts on older non PP kits are of the 'build a mold and beat into shape' type. For someone who has not built a plane it would take hours (or days) of head scratching and tentative work. Solution...pop in the video and in 30 minutes you have the part done. That was worth the cost in time alone.

Yes, the older videos do not show the prepunched parts. But the parts still need to be jigged, deburred, dimpled, primed, riveted, glassed, aligned, rebuilt, etc. And there are many good tips on modifications as well as do's and don'ts.

For someone who has not been to emp class, I consider these videos essential. BTW - Van's ships a set of videos with the QB so you can consider these 'factory approved'.

Wow!! 7 replies in 1 day..:D..Thanks guys

So it looks like the conclusion is yes the videos are worth it,
Even more so, if the videos exactly matches the model of your kit.
Even double 'more so' if you have to wait for your wing kit being shipped to you 1/2way across the world on ocean freight!;)

Davepar:
I bought the wings video and found it useful. It was up to date with the pre-punched parts.
Dave, which brand of videos did you watch that was up to date with the pre-punched parts? and where did you get them (www link please)?

Kelly,

I think Van's quit sending a copy of the video with the RV-7 QB kits. Received mine last month with no video. Called Van's and they said they are not shipping with QB anymore. I think it was a -6 thing.

Take care,

Jim

kellyp said:
My situation was simular to Bob's...building a non punched 6A. Many parts on older non PP kits are of the 'build a mold and beat into shape' type. For someone who has not built a plane it would take hours (or days) of head scratching and tentative work. Solution...pop in the video and in 30 minutes you have the part done. That was worth the cost in time alone.

Yes, the older videos do not show the prepunched parts. But the parts still need to be jigged, deburred, dimpled, primed, riveted, glassed, aligned, rebuilt, etc. And there are many good tips on modifications as well as do's and don'ts.

For someone who has not been to emp class, I consider these videos essential. BTW - Van's ships a set of videos with the QB so you can consider these 'factory approved'.

greylingr said:
Dave, which brand of videos did you watch that was up to date with the pre-punched parts? and where did you get them (www link please)?

I bought GeoBeck's (a.k.a. George and Becky Orndorff) "RV7/8 Wing Construction" video, http://www.fly-gbi.com. I think I actually bough the tape from Van's, as it was a couple of bucks cheaper.

George is probably actually working on an -8 wing in that video, but the wings are the same for the -7 and -8. Sounds like a -7 fuselage video will be out soon, but I'm almost done with the fuse. I would have bought the fuse video if it was available.

Dave

I, too, bought the EMP and Wings videos from George and I found them invaluable to help me through some rough spots. There being no fuselage tape, I do not have that reference. However, I tend to think that by the time you get to the fuselage, there aren't a lot of secrets left to share and I can't say that I've missed not having a tape to look at.

Plus with all the excellent Web sites out there now, what few questions I have I can easily get answers to and see pictures.

That said, i would highly recommend the first two sets of videos.

Bob
St. Paul