dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I plan to build my RV14 on the second floor of our carriage house. I will need to extract the fuselage through the carriage house door located in the center of the second floor about 10 feet above the driveway. The doors in aggregate measure 6'wide x 8' high, however the manageable space to take the project out is 5'5'' x 5'5''. Do you see any problem bringing the completed fuselage, minus the landing gear, outside this space? Would I need to remove the vertical stabelizer? Can I leave the engine mounted? Any suggestions what piece of equipment to use to bring it out and to the ground? I thought of a skytrac. I don't know how to insert a picture from my harddrive to this post, otherwise I could show you where the door is.

It will be bad enough handling the fuselage without the engine on it, I would not even consider trying to take it out the door with the engine mounted.

I pretty much realized I would not be able to keep the engine mounted as I brought it out. My basic question though depends on the size of the completed fuselage. Will it, minus the engine, fit through the 5.5' x 5.5' opening? Will I need to do that without the vertical stabelizer? I am thinking a skytrac with arm extenders that could lift up a woodpallet placed under and strapped to the fuselage would let me ease the fusealge out this space.

Well if you've got a Skytrak then the engine is a possibility, if you lead engine-first out the window and support that weight first. Roll it close, stick the forks in and strap it up, then lift and pull. The tail will be light then, definitely pull the VS off (an hours work), too much thin metal waiting for a minor bump.

Last edited:
How about the HS? I assumed I would need to remove that, or does the construction process not allow that? The opening is 5.5' x 5.5'. Also I am trying to obtain the largest outside dimensions (width and height) at the cabin of the 14. I assume this is the widest and tallest area. I could call Van's but I thought someone out there would know.

Wouldn't you need the gear on, for the engine to be on? I suspect that the gear will put you over your 5.5' opening.

The HA and VS aren't an issue. Mine were off on my RV-10 until well after I moved to the hangar.

bob

You have more understanding than I. I believed I could construct the fuselage with HS, VS, engine and landing gear on the second floor of my carriage house. Then my plan was to remove the HS, VS, and landing gear and with a skytrac remove the fuselage and engine outside through the 5.5' x 5.5' opening on the second floor. Then reattach the landing gear, VS, and HS. Pipe dream or definitely workable?

I'm not sure about the main gear on the 14, how it attaches. It would be workable on the other designs I believe.

You have more understanding than I. I believed I could construct the fuselage with HS, VS, engine and landing gear on the second floor of my carriage house. Then my plan was to remove the HS, VS, and landing gear and with a skytrac remove the fuselage and engine outside through the 5.5' x 5.5' opening on the second floor. Then reattach the landing gear, VS, and HS. Pipe dream or definitely workable?

I think all is workable except the landing gear / engine. I can only speak from experience with the RV-10. As I understand it, the 14 has a different landing gear configuration.

The RV-10's legs were a royal PITA to get on and off during the initial installation due to very tight tolerances. Doing that while hanging from a hoist would create a very interesting situation. I can't imagine the additional complexity and awkwardness that would be present if the weight of the engine was present. You would certainly have a CG issue.

I built my RV-10 in my garage, but I didn't hang the engine or mount the VS or HS until I moved the project to the hangar. I did have my gear on, but my garage door is larger that your opening.

bob

I have this sweet 40 x 26 workshop above my garage and I want to build there. It is at my house, heated and air conditioned. I called Van's today and they told me I could essentially construct the 14 with engine and gear up there, then remove the gear, HS, and VS with little effort. The width and height dimensions are less than my opening of 5.5' x 5.5' through which I will remove the plane to ground level. So I am going for it.

I don't see any reason you can't do it up there. The fuse is not that wide or tall without the gear attached. I can't tell you how many times I assembled and dis-assembled our -10. While it is a little time wasted, it would be worth it. As Bob pointed out, It is not easy to remove the gear with the engine on, but with a good fuselage stand that has flexibility in height, you could do it with a little work. The fuse stand would have to be capable of supporting the weight of the engine and hold fuse high enough to remove and install the gear. I would sure try to make it work. Heat and Air cond. are such a plus. Working in cold or hot conditions suck... Just ask Bob! Removing the Vert and Horiz surfaces is nothing.... You may even want to consider painting your plane while it's apart as a lot of builders, including myself and Bob, did.