pvalovich

Well Known Member
-8A with Aerosport IO-360 and Hartzell conatant speed prop. 282 flight hours. Until recently I never had a problem with the prop although it always has been sensitive to small control movements. Takeoff RPM would stabalize around 2680 full throw. However, on the past few flights, full forward on the prop control is giving me 2730 RPM. Checked the MT prop controller - stop still safety wired in original position; control cable secure with no apparent changes. Only thing I did was recharge the prop grease during my recent 50 hour inspection.

Any ideas of what is causing this? Haven't allowed RPM to remain above 2700 for more than a few seconds, but having to adjust prop control on takeof/go around is a pain.

Also, assuming I do have to readjust the control stop, any idea how much RPM reduction comes with a 1/2 turn of the adjustment screw?

McCauley prop governors are 25 RPM per turn. I think yours will be similar. If it is 2730 RPM on takeoff, I wouldnt mess with it. Lycoming calls it an overspeed at 5%, which is 2,835 RPM.

I agree. Would not mess with it at 2730. Plenty of the acro guys run 3000 RPM routinely. Heck, even my Hiperbipe was set to 2900 when I bought it. Who knows how long it flew like that.