Hello All:

Just finishing my -7 empennage and I as I think about future choices, I'd like to go the CS route. My hesitation is my relative lack of mechanical ability. The basic sheet metal stuff has been fine, but I'm more of an office boy.

How tough will it be for someone like me to add CS to my plane? My goal on other items is to stay as simple and standard as possible.

Thoughts?

Welcome to VAF!

Welcome to VAF, whatever your name really is:D

The constant speed installation is extremely simple, only change to the airframe is to add a control cable. Everything else is engine mounted. You do need to be sure the engine has a crankshaft will support a C/S, and it has a pad to mount the governor.

Biggest issues with a C/S usually seems to be weight----and cost.

There is nothing difficult about installing a CS prop. Specify that choice when you order your engine and order an appropriate prop governor and you will be fine. A CS prop does increase operational complexity/maintenance somewhat, but the tradeoff is more than worth it for many of us. If you want the performance boost and its within your budget I wouldnt hesitate.
erich

Virginia

Where in Va are you?
I'm at Louisa, LKU...
Have several RV's there and quick to pull a cowling to show you details.
Always glad to give builders rides for motivation also...:)

Years ago when I was first mining the bauxite for my plane I met a older gentleman who was just finishing up his RV-4. We started talking and when he left I was in awe.

He too was an office person and had never drilled a hole or even used a drill in his 65 years on this great earth until he started working on his -4. He didn't know the difference between a bolt, nut or screw!

That is exactly why the FAA lets us build these planes. Education.

A CS prop is pretty easy compared to what is ahead in your build process.

As Mike hinted, the hardest part of a CS installation is writing the check!

And worth EVERY penny. Do not be talked out of it.

If you really can't afford it, well perhaps, but they don't sell them because they are bad value.

About choices...

I find it interesting to read about the choices people make while building their RV; and there are many. It baffles me to see that someone will pay thousands of dollars for more horsepower and then stick a fixed pitch prop on the front.

I spend a lot of time flying in very close proximity to all kinds of RV's and the one factor that separates the men from the boys is the choice of propeller. Case in point: A friend with a very nice RV-8 with 180 horsepower was flying with another friend with a RV-6, 160 horsepower and CS prop. The -8 pilot could not keep up in the climb, was dead even in cruise and screamed for power in a descent because his engine was overspeeding.

Another point: If you choose a wooden FP prop you must be ready to avoid rain or suffer the pain of refinishing your prop. Wooden props are great for Piper Cubs, not RV's.

Having said all the above, I realize there are those who want no more than a gentle flyer that will take them aloft with a minimum of complexity and expense. Great! But for those who are looking for performance, the biggest bang for your buck is with a constant speed prop, not more horsepower. Of course, if money is not an issue get both!

I, too, thought the CS prop might be too complicated to fly and was set on using a fixed pitch prop. During the RV assembly seminar I took, Ken Scott convinced me to go CS. Best advice I ever received. Flying a CS is easy and makes the plane infinitely more controllable, responsive, and great in the pattern.

It is not at all difficult to install, either. Just make sure you buy an engine that is set up for it. I purchased the prop, engine and FWF kit right from Van's and everything was included and fit properly.

Roberta

I find it interesting to read about the choices people make while building their RV; and there are many. It baffles me to see that someone will pay thousands of dollars for more horsepower and then stick a fixed pitch prop on the front.

I spend a lot of time flying in very close proximity to all kinds of RV's and the one factor that separates the men from the boys is the choice of propeller. Case in point: A friend with a very nice RV-8 with 180 horsepower was flying with another friend with a RV-6, 160 horsepower and CS prop. The -8 pilot could not keep up in the climb, was dead even in cruise and screamed for power in a descent because his engine was overspeeding.

Another point: If you choose a wooden FP prop you must be ready to avoid rain or suffer the pain of refinishing your prop. Wooden props are great for Piper Cubs, not RV's.

Having said all the above, I realize there are those who want no more than a gentle flyer that will take them aloft with a minimum of complexity and expense. Great! But for those who are looking for performance, the biggest bang for your buck is with a constant speed prop, not more horsepower. Of course, if money is not an issue get both!

I agree with you completely... I have a shiny new hartzell BA waiting to get stuck on the front of my airplane.

That said, if someone is only interested in short field, or only interested in going fast, I can understand wanting the cost and weight savings of a fixed pitch. As long as you're willing to accept reduced performance in other flight regimes, there's nothing wrong with pitching for one area of the envelope.

Personally, I want the 3000fpm climbs AND the 190kts AND the speedbrake. My prop cost more than any other single piece on the airplane, but it'll be worth it :)

Thanks for the good news that I don't need an engineering degree or A&P mojo to install C/S.

"Cancel the vacation, Gladys, we're buying a C/S prop instead!"

Everything you wanted to know about C.S. Props

There is a wealth of knowledge available on VAF.

46754.png

Anything you want to know about RV aircraft can be found out from the people that support VAF.