JVolkober

Well Known Member
Looking for some insight from those of you who know.

I have completed the engine install, FWF and sensor wiring and cowl fitting on an RV-9A with an O-320 engine. I have not modified the crank for FP. I am now considering changing my plans to go to as CS prop instead of FP. Are there some tricks in the trail to doing this? Can I put the MT governor on without taking the engine off the mount? Do I run a risk of the cowling not fitting properly? What else should I be aware of before making a final decision?

I appreciate any input you may have.

John

Should be no problem ...

Looking for some insight from those of you who know.

I have completed the engine install, FWF and sensor wiring and cowl fitting on an RV-9A with an O-320 engine. I have not modified the crank for FP. I am now considering changing my plans to go to as CS prop instead of FP. Are there some tricks in the trail to doing this? Can I put the MT governor on without taking the engine off the mount? Do I run a risk of the cowling not fitting properly? What else should I be aware of before making a final decision?

I appreciate any input you may have.

John

I converted our O-320 on an RV6 from FP to CS after about 1000 hours.
If properly planned, it is doable over the weekend.

The prop spinner ended up being a LOT closer but that should be manageable.

I suspect the most problematic area is running the prop control cable. Needs to be at the right spot and angle.
<Never mind on that As I recall, the newer kits have that spot marked for you. Right?>

prop governer bracket, control

HI John
If your O-320 has a forward governor pad ( I think I remember my old Citabria was that way?) then it will be really easy.

If your O-320 has the accessory-pad governor, it is tricky to install while on the engine mount, but can be done. An annoying aspect of the MT Governor bracket that Van's sells is that the spacing of everything works out that you can't get the bolt into the control arm without taking the governor apart -- the required bolt length is too long. I modified the mounting bracket in a simple way, and allowed mounting the control rod to the control arm from the other side, much cleaner and simpler. There is a picture here:

http://www.hpaircraft.com/rv8/governorbracket.pdf

If you search, you will find lots of complaints about this, and my previous posting that includes this link. dated 02/26/09.

Other than that, you will need to install the control in your control console or throttle quadrant of course, and add a firewall penetration for the cable. And install the oil supply pipe from the governor to the front part of the engine. That goes pretty easily, assuming your baffles are off.

Others will have to help regarding spinner and cowl fitting -- I don't know about those.

Don't forget to be sure that the inner plug is installed in the crank, with no punch hole, and of course be sure to remove the outer plug.