dbowlds

I'm New Here
I'm building an RV-8 (w. showplaces fastback canopy & cowl) and I have a superior 200 HP angle valve (IO-360-A1E6 clone with superior cold air induction) engine built by Barrett. I'm considering going with dual Lightspeed Plasma 3 ignition systems on the engine. The engine was built and run on the dyno with slick mags. I've ruled out another popular electronic ignition system as it advances to 30 BTC at 29" of M.P. and 2700 RPM. On Mags we ran my engine in the test cell (dyno) at both 20 degrees BTC and 25 degrees BTC and it cost me about 10 corrected HP @ 25 degrees BTC....at 30 I can pretty much guarantee it would have cost me even more.

After talking to Klaus it seems light speed doesn't have this same over advance issue that I had with the other system so I am seriously considering changing to light speed when I install the engine. If I did that I'd go with a B&C backup alternator on the rear accessory case of the engine on the vacuum pump pad to mitigate the risk of an alternator drive belt break. I wanted to get feedback from people who have used the Lightspeed products. (specifically the plasma 3 system) Both good and bad. Also how much hotter CHT's have you experienced using the electronic ignition over Mags? Any noticeable increase in performance, fuel burn or power? As I understand it the maximum advantage to electronic ignition is much better starting but the real performance gains are found at higher altitudes where your engine is producing 75% or rated HP or less. Can anyone comment on how much benefit they have actually gained from the Lightspeed system.

Thanks
Drew

Dual ignitions

Hi Drew,
We have very well designed, high energy dual ignitions in both single and dual ECU versions. The dual ECU version is new and not on our website yet, though we have been delivering them this Summer. If interested, I can email you a flyer on the new ignition. Our ignitions include a very robust billet crank trigger and the highest quality materials throughout.

Check them out at www.flyefii.com

Robert Paisley

Love my dual LSE. There are some component issues with the wiring harness that are discussed in other threads - briefly: poor connectors to the coils and poor wire quality for the sensor leads. I also am working around, on my RV-10, the way the harness is designed as it creates excessively large penetrations in the firewall.

That said, I have only had one failure, when I accidentally broke a coil lead during an annual condition inspection - easily caught and repaired. I have not gone to AFP to have the injectors balanced, so I typically run at peak for the hottest cylinder, which is a little ROP for the rest. My field elevation is 7000' and I usually fly around 8500' - 9500'. My typical cruise is 130 KIAS at less than 6gph; I don't know how much of that is the ignition and how much is injection, but the combo is awesome.

Obviously, I like it enough to do it again in the RV-10.

Thanks Mike I appreciate the feedback. My engine has Airflow Performance injection on it as well. The cylinders were also ported and flow matched during the engine build. On our test run EGT's peaked fairly close to each other but not like they should with the injectors dialed in. once I have 150-200 hours on the engine and everything has settled into place I'll work with AFP to flow match the injectors. I've already spoke to AFP about this and their reasoning for flowmatching the injectors makes a lot of sense. The cylinders breath differently on the engine then they do on the flow bench. Glad to hear the LSE is working well for you.

Best,
Drew