dweyant

Well Known Member
Hi,

I'm a fairly new pilot (6/30/2012). I currently co-own a Cessna Cardinal that I'm really enjoying. I'm also just starting to work on my Instrument rating.

A friend mentioned the idea of building a plane to me a while ago, and the more I research it, the more intrigued I am by the idea.

I've spent some time reading this forum, and researching the different RV models, and while the RV-14 looks really interesting, I think the 9A would probably fit my mission the best.

I could use some help with suggestions on how to start. I'm not in any big hurry to get started (I have a plane to fly), but I'd like to start reading and learning about what I'm considering getting myself into.

I'm also a bit concerned about my somewhat lacking skills. I have no experience with any sort of metalworking. I've done some basic wood working, but nothing with metal.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dan

Join EAA

Then join a local chapter. They typically meet one evening per month. Go to the first meeting, stand up, introduce yourself, and mention that you're thinking of building. You'll probably find that more than one person will offer to show you their project. This could lead to rides and offers to have you assist. If you're still interested at that point, you should look for one of the weekend builder intro classes. Personally, I'd hold onto the Cardinal and work toward an instrument ticket. At this point in your flying, keeping at it is more important than taking a couple of years off to build. The Cardinal is a great aircraft to travel and train in. You'll eventually find the RV9A to handle similarly in terms of stability. The shorter winged RVs are "sportier" in terms of roll rate and stability.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Most of us probably had little no metal working experience when we started. Having woodworking experience is a plus, as many of the skills you learned there are easily applied to metal. I mean, you still have to drill holes, sand, countersink, prime, paint, etc.

It is a daunting task to build an airplane, but take it one step at a time and it all seems to work out somehow. I suggest getting the books by Tony Bingelis. Some of the contents are a bit dated or not applicable to an RV, but if you aren't fascinated by the books, then maybe building is not for you!

Also, go back in time and read all the posts here from the beginning, and certainly start reading everything here from now on. Take notes of things related to the RV-9 in particular and, since is it nearly identical, the 7 as well. Read the construction logs of others, especially for the 7 and 9. Much won't make sense at first, but over the months you may remember something and you can go back and research it. Things you might come up with that may not make sense now is a "tipup mod", "sikaflex", "grove nose wheel", etc.

Don't take too long to get started! The sooner you start, the sooner you will finish.

Don't forget about Section 5 of the preview plans-- Van did a great job of describing terminology, metalworking techniques and acceptable craftsmanship in there.

Build Vs buy

I think the FIRST issue to consider is are you really interesting in BUILDING or just flying an RV. There are plenty of RV's that come up for sale and you can buy one for what you'll pay (or less) than what it costs to build one. It takes blood sweat and tears to build an airplane, so you really need to WANT to have the building experience to keep from asking yourself what the heck did I get myself into. (Actually you'll be asking that regardless).

I think the only sweeter reward is watching the birth of your children. Building and flying your own plane is probably #2. I have flown continously for 44 yrs and a number of different types. I can tell you the RV-9A is as sweet as they come, I LOVE my airplane! You won't got wrong with the -9A, but if I were doing it over again... for the long haul.... I would not turn my back on the -14. It fixes all the "short comings" of the -9A (room, range, gear design) and you'll still enjoy great economy.
My 2 cents....

I second the above post. There are a lot of hours involved in the build. If you don't enjoy the work, it will become painful. Go to an EAA meeting, see if you can borrow a few tools and build Van's toolbox (designed just to let you try the work). If that was fun, buy the tools and tail kit. If it's still fun, buy the rest.

Two other notes: Don't underestimate the cost, in time and money. It is sad to see the number of unfinished kits because people ran out of time or money. In very rough numbers, triple the Van's kit's costs (or use Van's on-line estimator) to see the total cost.

Good replies already posted, and I'm sure 4-5 more pages of the same to follow. But thought I'd mention a factor I've (not) seen in some prospective builders.

Sure, the process is very straightforward to someone who can read technical instructions and documents, who's familiar and proficient with hand tools and small power tools, etc.

But do you have the confidence and tenacity to complete many, MANY seemingly unproductive small tasks before you even have something that looks like an airplane? It's kind of like college. You'll work hard on many things that, in some cases, seem to have little relevance to the end result for many years. Then you get there - and the reward is tremendous.

Are you that person? Just a question to answer for yourself. Fortunately, the time is right to buy a completed plane. I would definitely buy built if I was looking to acquire right now.

Last edited:
And the average build time is probably in the neighborhood of 5 years. I've seen retired guys build one in less than a year and because I'm still working every day mine took over 7 years. Unless you need to spread the expense out over a longer period I would try to find a nice example of the plane you want and purchase it. Just my 2 cents.

9A Ride

The only skills you actually need to complete a build are patience and perseverance. Any others you have before you begin are gravy.

We have a 9A in your backyard at Georgetown if you ever want a ride. Beware, it may tip the scales and cost A LOT!

Dan

It sounds like you have already made the first step looking at VAN?s ? so welcome. :D

You should choose the plane based on your mission as you stated. The 9 is a great plane. I have a few friends that have them and you can?t go wrong. It is a great looking plane and fly?s even better than it looks.

I did see the RV14 at Oshkosh and it is roomy and looks close to the 9, but should build faster due to the complete kits and instructions.

I personally built a RV12 in a very short time frame and understand the 14 is to following the same kit build strategy. If it is anywhere close to the 12 kit; pre-drilled, ready to assemble type, and fast build, it will go together very quick for a first time builder.

Good luck on your decision - it will be of of the most satisfying things you do!

The only skills you actually need to complete a build are patience and perseverance. Any others you have before you begin are gravy.

We have a 9A in your backyard at Georgetown if you ever want a ride. Beware, it may tip the scales and cost A LOT!

Thanks for all of the responses, a lot to think about and research for sure.

I'd love to come and look at your 9A sometime. Thank you so much for the offer! I'll send you a PM.

-Dan

EAA Sheet Metal Workshop

You might also want to sign up for the EAA Sheet Metal Workshop. You'll learn quite a bit in a very short time, and will give you the basics to get started. They usually offer them several times a year in various parts of the country. Best of luck with your decision! :D

Dan welcome! I would say keep researching for now. You have a plane to fly and a rating to earn. Take a flight with Tanya, go to an RV fly in, try a workshop. Dig a bit of statistics (if you find it :)) on completion/bail out rates and keep reading for ... a year. Building RV is a tremendous undertaking it's not only perseverance and patience but also a thick stack of banknotes. Look into opportunity of buying flying RV it will be cheaper monetarily.
Do not rush. Plan.

Thanks for the feedback, gives me some stuff to research.

How many folks equip there RV for IFR flight? It looks like(?) VANS doesn't officially sanction it, but it seems like I'm seeing at least a few RV's that are IFR capable? Is it just a matter of putting the correct equipment for IFR in the panel?

Thanks,

-Dan