RobinsonN

I'm New Here
Hey;
I'm thinking of building an RV8. I'm looking for suggestions and things to look out for while building.. As well as any improvements or enhancements that people have made throughout the building process.. I was also looking at the RV4, any pro?s or con?s to the RV4 versus the RV8???

Thanks,
Nick

Welcome, Nick...

...The -4 is considered the best flying RV of all and it does feel really good. That and the -3. I fly my buddy's -4 and I'm right at 6' and it's kinda snug.He's 5 '10 and fits better. If you're over 6 feet and 240, you'd probably fit better in an -8.

Regards,

Stop thinking and start building!

Welcome to the forum.

The -8 is much easier to build than the -4 because of the matched hole construction. No jigs required, it just cleco's together and you start drilling the holes to final size.

Suggestion #1, learn this site. Learn how to search and display old threads (scroll to the bottom for that option).

Suggestion #2, hook up with local RV builders. The model doesn't matter, they are all very similar.

Suggestion #3, join your local EAA chapter

Suggestion #4, build it as light as you can. Pick your options very carefully!

Suggestion #5, have fun doing it!

Regarding the -4 vs. -8, it is not like the -8 flies like a dog, it is a very nice flying plane but the -4 and -3 are supposed to really be something!

Last edited:
Welcome

Hi Nick,

The internet in general is a great resource for RV builders, but it can be almost overwhelming. Hundreds of people log their projects online -- I'm sure you've seen the list of links at Van's website. You'll find so much input and opinion here on the VAF site alone that you could spend the rest of your life sorting thorugh it all. 'Information management' has become an important builder's skill, right along with deburring and riveting.

I usually search the VAF forum archives for relevant comments before I tackle each major new sub-system, just to see if anyone has encountered a "gotcha" that would be nice to know about.

If you do use this site as a resource, remember to take everything with a grain of salt and consider the source. Don't make rash decisions about the construction of your airplane based on one person's opinion on a website. Just remember that Van's Aircraft, Inc. ought to be the final authority on most of the big "engineering" questions you might have as you're building.

Having said that, there are a lot of smart people here with valuable experience who will be more than happy to make suggestions and give guidance. (Don't forget to give back to the community by providing your own nuggets of knowledge, too!)

As to specific aircraft models, I agree with Pierre that the RV-4 cockpit is pretty snug for larger guys. I've flown both, and the RV-8 just fits me better. The back seat is more comfortable, too, IMHO. If you have a loved one who will be a regular "backseater," this is the time to get that approval. Definitely sit in each model for a while before committing.

Improvements and enhancements? Wow. There are tons. Just off the top of my head, here are a few that people have done to their RV-8s. You could search the site for more information about any of these. This list is definitely not all-inclusive:

Heated pitot tube
AOA system
Inverted fuel system
Titanium tiedown rings
LED nav lights
Upgraded landing lights
Split flap hinges
Video cameras in vertical stab (and other locations)
Gear tower access covers
Brake pedal access door
Avionics access door in forward bulkhead
Removable floorboards (screws and nutplates)
Angled side panels below instrument panel
Armrests
Andair fuel selector
Smoke system
Upgraded static ports
Upgraded front seat throttle quadrant
Rear seat throttle
Rear seat rudder pedals
Rudder pedal extensions
Integral brake reservoirs on pedals
Baggage door hold-open spring
Flaps-up shutoff system
Bent control stick in front cockpit
Removable rear stick
Infinity control sticks with custom functions
Dimmable LED cockpit lighting
Rear cockpit map light
Rear cockpit power outlet
One-touch flap positioning system
APRS system
Rudder cable exit fairings
Parking brake
Grove aerodynamic landing gear
Fastback fuselage
Aftermarket canopy
Aftermarket hoses, fuel lines, brake lines, etc.
...Plus about a zillion combinations of avionics, electrical system layouts, and other goodies. I could go on and on. (But I won't because I think I just had a seizure...) :eek:

My suggestion: Make it your own plane, using your own priorities and budget. You'll enjoy it more in the end. Don't do anything just because someone else is doing it.

Welcome to the community! :)

Last edited:
If you do use this site as a resource, remember to take everything with a grain of salt and consider the source. Don't make rash decisions about the construction of your airplane based on one person's opinion on a website. Just remember that Van's Aircraft, Inc. ought to be the final authority on most of the big "engineering" questions you might have as you're building.
This is VERY good advice. There are a number of websites out there where the builder detailed his construction and maybe an option or two that later on turned out to be bad advice and the builder never updated his site to indicate so-and-so didn't work out as desired. (My site may well be one of those.)

In the end, it is up to you to build this airplane.

Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build.

RV8

I had a RV4 (N42917) while I built my RV8. The 4 is a great aircraft and flew like a dream and easier to land than my Champ. You could pack a lunch and a small bag but it was tight for me. It had a O320 with a CS prop. The RV 8 offers you the Quick build and twice the baggage area ( front and rear), larger panel......I could go on. I love my 8 and would build another rather than the 4 ....the 4 was great but I love my 8 (O360 w/CS prop). The CG was more of a concern on the 4. The match hole on the 8 will speed construction. Resale today is higher on the 8. The flight difference is slight to me but maybe my 4 was heavy. Build it light with only what you need. My 8 is 1097 empty. The RV grin will last a life time with either one.

Taking the 8 to Oshkosh this year from FL....I would have shipped our (read me and passenger) baggage if I was flying the 4.

Sal
N898SC
Lakeland, FL.

I am almost finished with an RV8 airframe. I have not built a four but if you are not an experienced builder I would have to think the matched hole kit of the RV8 is the way to go, assuming you want to spend time flying not building. I have heard more than double the build time for a not matched hole kit. I don't personally know this to be true, however. I am sure there is someone who has built both.