tensegrity

I'm New Here
Hi all.

Dumb question as follows: I have owned a few airplanes in the past (Citabria then Decathlon then Bonanza then T-Bone) but currently am without any. I may have need for doing a commute of about 750 sm. So, I'm trying to figure out if an RV might be reasonable to consider should this commute thing happen, but am wondering about the range issue.

Are there any RV's with or without specific mods to allow for a range of 750 sm?

Other than that issue, an RV would seem to offer highest bank for buck.

Many thanks for any response!

Mark

Check Van's site. They list the range for each model.

You always have the option of expanding the fuel tanks, if the listed range isn't enough for you. Try using the Search button, you will find a lot of info under Extended Range Tanks.

And welcome to the VAF forum.

I have a range, with one hour reserve, of about 700 sm in a 6A. That assumes no wind. A RV7(A) may make it. Add extra fuel tanks and that helps.

Or make a stop.

My numbers are based upon cruise altitudes around 11,500'

Last edited:
It doesn't sound reasonable in mine because of margins

I have an RV-6A that in cruise configuration I have my tip tanks installed giving a capacity of 55 gallons. I can fly reliably for 5 hours 6 minutes (5.2 hrs) to dry tanks leaned 100F rich of peak at 2,450 rpm. This was determined by flying on tanks that are switched when empty is indicated by engine slow down and fuel pressure drop - not math. I flight plan for 150 knots and it comes out very close to that with start up, taxi, take off, climb, landing, etc. That accomodates a trip of 780 nautical miles or just over 900 statute miles with zero fuel remaining. I like to have one hour of fuel remaining for safety so my practical range is almost exactly 730 statute miles. Others have modified with larger tanks - they would possibly work for you.

Bob Axsom

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mark, welcome to the greatest RV site there is.:D

Good to have you here, you will get lots of good, honest info.

The RV 10 will fit the bill, and you get the added bonus of comfort, and 4 seats.

Yes, and No

Hi all.

an RV would seem to offer highest bank for buck.

Many thanks for any response!

Mark

RV's do offer a lot of bang for the buck. However, as reliable as most are, they are still not cookie cutter certified airplanes. Each airplane is its own individual self. Most of the owners are very involved with the maintenance and upkeep of their machines, and most RV's take some fiddling now and then. RV10's, the most suited for your commuting need, are demanding pretty strong money, well worth it in my opinion, but there are a lot of certified aircraft options for much less that will handle that commute in comfort and ease, pretty **** cheaply. So, if your primary purpose is that commute, I would think an RV to be less desireable.

Now, the "culture" of RV ownership is priceless. There is no better community than the RV community. You would be opening up a whole new world of aviation that you probably haven't enjoyed before. So, if you are ready for that next adventure, come on aboard.

I rarely disagree with Jon, so I won't...but I'll give you a slightly different perspective. My RV-8 has been far more reliable over the past 1200 hours and five years than any certified plane I have owned - the structure is robust, and the systems that require maintainance (engine, alternator, prop...) are virtually identical to common spam cans, so there is no real difference there. I do very little "tinkering" other than elective surgery to do upgrades.

If it were me looking for a commuter for that distance, I don't think I could pick something better than a two (or maybe a one) seater with extended range tanks. 700 miles is just out beyond comfort range for a single leg for me if I was going to depend on it (which means I'd want IFR reserves) - but with the Whiskey Hotel tanks and a relief tube, I'd be good to go in a 6,7,8...or -3! It would be hard to find an airplane as fast that you can operate for less money than a small RV. A Glassair would get you there faster, but my neighbor seems to have his up on jacks doing gear maintenance a lot....:)

Paul

Great cross country

My dad and i built an RV-7 with an IO-360, hartzell C/S and find no problem with range. If anything it is too large!!! Our bladders and butts need a break at about 600 miles and we could still go another hour before worrying about reserves. An RV would be a good commuter, but it is of course all about what you want. Do your research and enjoy whatever you get!!!

When you say "commute"

What do you mean..Not daily surely?

The RV at economy cruise is roughly 180mph..or just over 4 hours one way.

Or 6 round trips to the oil change if you stick with 50 hours.

Once per week means an oil change every 6 weeks is probably doable, but for me even that would get old, I guess you could pay an A&P

Frank