722TJ

I'm New Here
I am considering getting into a kit that is not complete. I have never built an RV. What are some big concerns I should look for specifically with regards to a 6A? Can replacement parts still be purchased new from Vans? How difficult is it to make 7A components fit the 6A of the part can not be sourced?
I am looking forward to getting into an RV! Thanks for the guidance.

The most critical part of the 6a is to ensure that you have matching spar splice plates, wing spars, and center fuselage section.
On later planes they are engraved with a number... the numbers should all match.

How much of the kit (if any) is already built? There are some frequent areas of screw up depending on how far along it is.

I built a 6A, currently helping complete new build 6 and 6A.

You can get most parts from Van's still, but they don't keep stock on hand, so there can be significant delay.
Specific 7A parts are prepunched and most likely won't work. But many parts are also common between the 6,7,9

Happy to help you with further questions.

Welcome (almost ;)) to the ancient art of building a non pre-punched RV kit.

What to look for on the partially built kit: Kind of depends on how much has been completed on the unfinished kit, and to some degree the kit vintage. Other than general build quality (fit and finish, properly set rivets, etc), there are some specific things to look at for any early RV model (3, 4, 6/6A), specifically where the major attach points have to be drilled by the builder. These include empennage attach bolts, wing rear spar attach bolt (on the 6/6A), landing gear mount alignment (6A: early ones all done by the builder....later ones had gear leg to gear mount hole done at the factory).

Replacement parts from Van's: Van's has said they will continue to support all their kits. That said, there are sometimes wait times for some parts that are not in volume production (like the 3, 4, 6/6A kits). If you need to order a sub-kit for something not included in the one you're looking at, read this on Van's website:

Making 7/7A parts fit a 6A: Depends on what part we're talking about. Generally if the newer model uses the same part number as the 6/6A, the part will fit. (my 6A has some 7/7A center console bits in it). If you're talking about swapping wings and fuselages.....no, those are not interchangeable. 7/7A empennage assemblies.....those can be "made to fit" on a 6A.

There are several of us around here who've been down the "old school" RV build process.. If/when you have more specific questions, we can help. Semi-pro tip: photos will help get better answers to the "Is this OK?" type of question. :)

and to some degree the kit vintage
and that would be a good starting point. The last RV-6 kits shipped had pre-punched wing skins, RV-7 engine mount/cowling/canopy, RV-8 tail (the reason I call mine a 6.9i ;) )

a kit that is not complete

some good inputs by previous posters. Stating either what is missing or what would be included, would help.
I would certainly also recommend a prebuy, similar to one done on a flying RV. Having some RV knowledgeable person come along to inspect the object before committing would be wise...

The most critical part of the 6a is to ensure that you have matching spar splice plates, wing spars, and center fuselage section.
On later planes they are engraved with a number... the numbers should all match.

How much of the kit (if any) is already built? There are some frequent areas of screw up depending on how far along it is.

I built a 6A, currently helping complete new build 6 and 6A.

You can get most parts from Van's still, but they don't keep stock on hand, so there can be significant delay.
Specific 7A parts are prepunched and most likely won't work. But many parts are also common between the 6,7,9

Happy to help you with further questions.
Thanks for the info!!! When I find the kit I will look at those items! Still Looking
Tom

Welcome (almost ;)) to the ancient art of building a non pre-punched RV kit.

What to look for on the partially built kit: Kind of depends on how much has been completed on the unfinished kit, and to some degree the kit vintage. Other than general build quality (fit and finish, properly set rivets, etc), there are some specific things to look at for any early RV model (3, 4, 6/6A), specifically where the major attach points have to be drilled by the builder. These include empennage attach bolts, wing rear spar attach bolt (on the 6/6A), landing gear mount alignment (6A: early ones all done by the builder....later ones had gear leg to gear mount hole done at the factory).

Replacement parts from Van's: Van's has said they will continue to support all their kits. That said, there are sometimes wait times for some parts that are not in volume production (like the 3, 4, 6/6A kits). If you need to order a sub-kit for something not included in the one you're looking at, read this on Van's website:

Making 7/7A parts fit a 6A: Depends on what part we're talking about. Generally if the newer model uses the same part number as the 6/6A, the part will fit. (my 6A has some 7/7A center console bits in it). If you're talking about swapping wings and fuselages.....no, those are not interchangeable. 7/7A empennage assemblies.....those can be "made to fit" on a 6A.

There are several of us around here who've been down the "old school" RV build process.. If/when you have more specific questions, we can help. Semi-pro tip: photos will help get better answers to the "Is this OK?" type of question. :)
Awesome info. When I find the right one I will reach out for sure!

and that would be a good starting point. The last RV-6 kits shipped had pre-punched wing skins, RV-7 engine mount/cowling/canopy, RV-8 tail (the reason I call mine a 6.9i ;) )

some good inputs by previous posters. Stating either what is missing or what would be included, would help.
I would certainly also recommend a prebuy, similar to one done on a flying RV. Having some RV knowledgeable person come along to inspect the object before committing would be wise...
Absolutely! I would plan to have someone much smarter than I look at it!