Tram

Well Known Member
Hey guys-

I guess I've got the bug.. I've been out working on the -6 for the last few days and there have been several things on the "to-do list" that just kept getting pushed back, further and further.

Well, we're starting to hit decent temps so I've been in the hangar.. Something we'd like to consider is a glass panel at some point and today while workign on the plane, I took a look at the panel..

Looks like the panel is held in with two vertical "ribs." If we went to an EFIS, these ribs won't allow for the EFIS to sit infront of the left seat, I could place it to the left or right of the rib, but that wouldn't look right..

Just curious what you guys might think would be the best idea? Could these ribs be drilled out, removed and new ribs installed?

Thanks

Jeff

I don't know how the -6 panel is constructed. But on my -7, the rib protruded from the firewall through the subpanel and then panel is screwed to the ribs.

I cut the rib flush where it came out of the subpanel. Then mounted my Dynon. Once the dynon mount was in place I positioned the rib to the right side of the dynon mount. used screws through the main panel and added a piece of angle at the aft end to secure to the subpanel. On the left side of the Dynon mount I just used a piece of angle to stabilize from the main panel to the subpanel.

Almost easier to do than to type it up.

Thanks for the reply.. I really wish we had built this airplane, but I'm glad we have something to fly, rather than just building and hoping to fly.. ;)

Much of the stuff seems straight forward, but I don't want to do screwing something structural up.. :)

What a lot of the guys do..

....to make room for the glass, is to leave about 1" of that angled support brace, and cut off the bottom, angled part to where the new cut is parallel to the top skin of the airplane. This will give you the room you need. Kinda like this:

--------------------------

-----------\
\
\-------------

Best,

....to make room for the glass, is to leave about 1" of that angled support brace, and cut off the bottom, angled part to where the new cut is parallel to the top skin of the airplane. This will give you the room you need. Kinda like this:

--------------------------

-----------\
\
\-------------

Best,

Good tip.. :)

Now I just need to decide if we *need* glass... I'm perfectly happy with a steam six pack, but glass is prettttttty.. ;)

Dynon drops right in.

Good tip.. :)

Now I just need to decide if we *need* glass... I'm perfectly happy with a steam six pack, but glass is prettttttty.. ;)

I wanted to go another direction with an EFIS but my choice was made simple as the D100 dropped right into the existing hole. You can have "glass" without going to a square housing.
I dont think anybody "needs" glass but you get an amazing amount of features in a small footprint for a relatively small amount of coin.

Yeh, I could pop out some instruments and throw the EFIS and EMS into their spot, but I'd have to figure out what to do with the new empty holes..

Might be cheaper just to order up a new panel and throw it all in when it arrived..