dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Considering building the 9. Haven't decided between nose or tail wheel yet. Any general comments about the handling characteristics, problems with flights, construction hassles unique to this model of Van's?

The -9 is a very docile aircraft with no bad flight characteristics. No aerobatics, easy to land, slips great in any configuration, controllable through a mushy stall, an excellent aircraft.

I was told from an engineer at Vans who shall remain nameless that "there was a reason" there are not too many -9 taildraggers, but he didn't elaborate. I know the folks that have them and love them, not trying to start any wars, just sharing info I had heard. Hope this helps. Glenn

As near as I can count, I have flown 27 different models of aircraft. My favorite is the 9A (but I will admit to being biased.) If you aren't into aerobatics, there is nothing better that I have found. Very forgiving and not sloppy at all. I particularly like the low landing speed compared to other RVs. If there is a fault, it is that it will float longer than you might expect, especially with fixed pitch. Airspeed control is very important on final on short strips. Great XC machine!

Bob Kelly

Which One?

As near as I can count, I have flown 27 different models of aircraft. My favorite is the 9A (but I will admit to being biased.) If you aren't into aerobatics, there is nothing better that I have found. Very forgiving and not sloppy at all. I particularly like the low landing speed compared to other RVs. If there is a fault, it is that it will float longer than you might expect, especially with fixed pitch. Airspeed control is very important on final on short strips. Great XC machine!

Bob Kelly

Well Bob, I don't have 27 aircraft to my credit, only about 6, :( but I have to agree with you on all counts. So much so that I have another 9A tail kit to get started on. I'm calling it my 60-year-old plane. :p Hope to have it finished by then. I've got ten years. Right now I'm thinking taildragger/360/constant speed/slider....:cool:

big spender!

...good name!. should do well in aviation! :)

you really have to go fly a -9, a -9a, and a -7 or -8 etc. to know what you like, and what you don't.
I nearly bought into a Glastar, which has excellent visibility for a high wing, and I still didn't like the view.
2 minutes of sitting in a -6a, and I knew I wanted a low wing for the great vis in the circuit.
I flew the -6a, and found it a bit hot on final from my perception & comfort zone.
My next ride in a -9a, I went......"aaaaahhhhhh. THis is more like it!"

That said, my new -9a has some 'interesting' characteristics, which I am still learning ( and always will be I'm sure). Perhaps there are mostly -9a's due to the kind of people who build them.
I used to like doing spins, and I'd probably do some sport aero if I had a -7.
Of course, I'd Have to have smoke for that.

I hate reading about these things flipping over, so if that bothers you also, put the tiny wheel on the back!

again, fly 'em, try 'em, rinse, repeat.
.........Don't be surprised if after having a -X for a few years, you really want a -Y, and start rivetting again!

Last edited:
I hate reading about these things flipping over, so if that bothers you also, put the tiny wheel on the back!

But then you might clobber something due to less forward visibility. I heard it happens, and in 9's. I guess it's a tradeoff. :)

P.S. --- If you don't want to float on landing, get a C/S prop. Even the 9's come down real good with a C/S.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Agree with all the assessments above. I used to be bothered by the float (I have fp prop) and no more. Most of the time I can slow the plane down before entering downwind (pull the power and lift the nose up slightly). If I am fast(more than 75 kts) or too high on final I slip it down (keep the speed above 70 at all time). Most of the time I can get it low and slow so it does not float much.

As for 9A or 9, not being a very skilled pilot a 9A is easier. 9A handles cross wind much better. I am sure that there are some skilled td drivers who can handle more cross wind than a typical tricycle gear driver can. However, most of my td driver friends are more sensitive to cross wind than tg drivers. With tg you have to be careful operating on grass. I have landed on good grass runways and did not find it hard. However, I am very careful not to try any grass runway that I am not sure about.

Overall, 9A is by far the best airplane I have flown (followed by 7A and 6A. Of course I am biased).

The reason I began this thread was because I read briefly about a flip over. Is this a problem with 9s or any of VAn's? Also, what is the trick with a 9 over other planes when landing on grass?

It's about Speed and Technique

Dennis:
Every landing in tri-gear aircraft should be accomplished using practiced, soft field technique. This is even more important in the RVs due to the design of the gear structure and typical clearances between front gear fairing and ground. If the front gear fails for whatever reason, it's probably going to nose over. I've seen many trike landings where the nose touches first and is followed by hard braking - it's a recipe for disaster. Conventional gear RVs, while perhaps less likely to nose over, carry a risk of gound looping. As far as floating during landing, I would say that the 9 is a great short field aircraft if flown by the numbers. With a flaps out stall at around 43 kts, using 1.3 Vso (56 kts) on short final will result in accurate, spot landings. I see you're not too far from KPTK. Give me a call sometime if you'd like to see firsthand how the 9A performs.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP
Ph: 248-417-8585

Dennis:
Every landing in tri-gear aircraft should be accomplished using practiced, soft field technique.... As far as floating during landing, I would say that the 9 is a great short field aircraft if flown by the numbers. With a flaps out stall at around 43 kts, using 1.3 Vso (56 kts) on short final will result in accurate, spot landings.

Terry, I agree with your statement entirely. I noticed that you point out that 1.3 Vso is an ideal approach speed. There are lots of postings where the number 75kts is thrown out. That just seems way to fast. I did several hours transition training today in a -7 (awesome airplane) and found 75 kts was great for base to final and 70kts long final and 65kts (1.3Vso) over the numbers was perfect. I don't claim to be an expert on flyer RV's, however, I do know that similar aerodynamic rules apply to all aircraft. Good technique and speed management is key to good landings. Whether it is a NG or TD.

The other issue I think some pilots have comes from the textbooks that describe flight control positions while taxiing usually with an associated graphic. We have all seen and heard "climb into a headwind and dive away from a tail wind". Unfortunately what the textbooks I have seen don't say is that you have to have a wind greater than your taxi speed in order to produce a tailwind (i.e. taxing at 10kts with a 10kt tail wind = 0kts) Since that is relatively rare, you almost NEVER should have forward controls while taxiing. I actually NEVER allow my students to release the elevator from full back while taxiing. We call it "popping a wheely".

9 was a great choice for me

Built and Flew a Long EZ for 25 years then built a 9 ,flying it for 2+ years off 1800 ft one way in one way out private field. MUCH slower approach than the EZ that was pavement only and then 3000 feet minimum. The 9 with a slider canopy does have some limited ground taxi visibility due to the tall gear but slide the canopy back and look out the side and your good if uncomfortable with taxi s turns. Great flying , great response great XC airplane unless you got to fly upside down N908DR . RV9 , 160HP with FP

But then you might clobber something due to less forward visibility. I heard it happens, and in 9's. I guess it's a tradeoff. :)

P.S. --- If you don't want to float on landing, get a C/S prop. Even the 9's come down real good with a C/S.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Oh that hurt LA!

Truth is, the -9 has great forward visibility on the ground. Just don't let someone leave a low trailer in the middle of a taxiway on the back side of hill or the noise you will hear is the sound of your voice cursing a blue streak.

As for complications from construction, flight, etc. there really isn't much difference between the two. As a friend said to me when I was first starting my build in response to my query, "What was the most difficult task?", "Whatever comes next."

As for flight characteristics, really landing characteristics, either plane is very easy to land, with or without a CS prop.

If you are going to spend years and thousands building a plane, build the plane you want. If you don't have any tailwheel time, you will get some before your first flight, and all will be good. (There are a lot of threads on this topic already, just do a search, sit back, and enjoy all the banter.)

Sorry, Pierre, I haven't flown a -10 yet. I'll bet I would like it, though. Next time I plan a trip, is yours available;)

BTW, another way to shorten the float is to set your idle at around 400 rpm. I only pull all the way on final, and usually idle with a little throttle in. In about 250 hours the low idle hasn't caused any problem, and it really does slow the plane in ground effect. And yes, 75 kts is too fast on final. So is 75 mph. 60-65mph (depending on conditions) works really well, at least for me.

Bob

Any time, Bob...

...Sorry, Pierre, I haven't flown a -10 yet. I'll bet I would like it, though. Next time I plan a trip, is yours available;)
Bob

....that you're passing by here..left seat too.

I'm just raggin ya'...there are no bad flying RV's as far as I'm concerned.

Best,

too fast

Terry, I agree with your statement entirely. I noticed that you point out that 1.3 Vso is an ideal approach speed. There are lots of postings where the number 75kts is thrown out. That just seems way to fast.".

Its definately too fast. I see a lot of RV drivers flying the airplanes on with more speed than needed. I've lowered my landing speeds through the years and it really helps.

Solo in the '9 I almost always use 60 knots down short final and into the flair. If I had a fixed pitch prop, I might knock another couple of knots off of it.

Heck I use 65 - 68 knots in my '8 for wheel landings.