idleup

Well Known Member
So what decisions need to be made before closing the wing up? I can think of the following:

1. Type of Pitot tube that will be used
2. Landing lights
3. AOA installed if going to be used.

Are those correct? are there any more?

- Matt

Is there a way to put in an auto pilot servo without committing to the auto pilot system you are going to use? or does each one have it's own setup... honestly I have not looked at all at autopilots yet.

- Matt

This is somewhat implied but how about wiring conduit?

Also, some people mount their remote compass and OAT probe in the wings. (Mine are in the tail.)

Autopilots

idleup said:
Is there a way to put in an auto pilot servo without committing to the auto pilot system you are going to use? or does each one have it's own setup... honestly I have not looked at all at autopilots yet.

- Matt
Each manufacturer's autopilot uses it's own servos - they aren't universal or interchangable.

I know that TruTrack's can be installed after the wing is completed - and I suspect most (if not all) others can as well. Just make sure your wiring holes/conduit are big enough for the added wires.

I think SteinAir is now selling servo wire. You could run some wire for a future autopilot.

idleup said:
So what decisions need to be made before closing the wing up? I can think of the following:

1. Type of Pitot tube that will be used
2. Landing lights
3. AOA installed if going to be used.

Are those correct? are there any more?

- Matt

Location of pitot tube if not going with Van's. I've left my bottom skins off for so long because I have not yet decided this question.

autopilot

I'm planning on a TruTrak autopilot. I bought the servo brackets and mounted the one for the ailerons in the wing when I built the wing. I'll also run the wire for the servo before closing the wing. Then all I'll need to do is bolt in the servo and plug it in.

Good luck.

Tom Costanza
RV-7A fuse