wirejock

Well Known Member
Just another bunch of data FWIW. I'm not advocating any style.

Terminal strips? Fogetaboutit! Sorry. Actually they are really heavy. I recommend weighing if you plan to use them. I was planning them in a couple places till I weighed them. Add the ring terminals if you weigh.

The weight results on D-subs are as expected. With shells, they are heavier than Molex, but I still prefer them for important systems like servos. YMMV. However, a pair of D-subs without shells are much lighter. This one is worth considering. On non-critical systems like lights, I eliminate the D-sub shell and lash the two halves together with Waxed Lashing string. NonI didn't weigh the string. I still like Molex, but prefer D-sub. Big wires obviously need another style connection like Faston or Canon.

Weights based on 9-wires
Pair of D-subs with shells nuts, screws and all pins- 23.6g
Pair of D-subs without shells with all pins- 11.7
Pair of 9-pin Molex with all pins- 6.4
9 pairs of Faston terminals- 16.9g

Last one is interesting. A pair of D-subs without shells is much lighter and easier to separate or install.

I did not weigh solder sleeves. That's a great connection but more difficult to separate for maintenance.
There's also D-sub pins without the chassis. Male/female with heat shrink. Very light. Also not pleasant to separate for maintenance but worth consideration.

Just some data. Hope it's of some value.