fjpoole

I'm New Here
I am new to this area and am considering purchasing my first plane and came across this website - lotsa good information here.

My question is this - a friend of mine had a panel mount 396 (the adapter) and someone had it connected to and older IFR gps - the autopilot seemed to be tracking the 396??? Is this possible...if so what kind of older IFR GPS units can be synced with the 396/496/696.

The plane I am looking at has an old apollo either GX50 or 55 GPS connected to the autopilot - I'd like to get the a 396 etc and hook it to the older apollo - is that possible?

Thanks in advance

I've heard of a 396/496 being successfully connected to an Apollo GX60, which I would think is close enough to the GX50/55 to make no difference in the serial output. Seems to me like it ought to work!

good luck,
mcb

My question is this - a friend of mine had a panel mount 396 (the adapter) and someone had it connected to and older IFR gps - the autopilot seemed to be tracking the 396??? Is this possible...if so what kind of older IFR GPS units can be synced with the 396/496/696.

My question back to you is... what functionality are you hoping to get exactly, by hooking the 396 to your GX.

If you want to have the 396 database, waypoints, position, flight plan etc. sent to the GX, the answer is no, you can't do that.

If you want the GX flight plan sent to the 396 the answer is... I think maybe that can be made to work, but I haven't tried it.

If you just want the 396 to drive your autopilot... if it is a newer digital A/P such as a Trio or Trutrak, the answer is yes, but there is no reason for the 396 to go through the GX for that. Just install a SPDT switch to select the serial input to the A/P from either the GX or 396 serial out.

--Paul

GPS Continued

Correct me if I am mistaken but the 396 is not IFR certified and the apollo is. Whey they are couple I believe it is legal to use the 396 in IFR situations so long at the Apollo is the primary.

Yes / No?